• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate dies at Update... - No error msg

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2008 Mar 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from RH6 to RH7 this week. Right after the conversion, I was able to generate. As I started to work, I experienced some odd problems with the style selector on the Format toolbar where I could not select a style. I somehow managed to make that go away - I don't know how. Then I could no longer generate. During the generate process I get to the Updating files... and the progress bar goes to the 7th blue bar then the program stops responding. I have another project that I converted and it does the same thing except gets to the 10th blue bar. I have made a copy of the project and deleted the .cpd and tried again with no luck. The project is local as is the generate path. My sys admin controls the path for My Documents and that is networked to a VERY slow drive. I mention this because during program start it looks like RH accesses this drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say: "My sys admin controls the path for My Documents and that is networked to a VERY slow drive." Yikes!

"My Documents...networked" (and yes, JohnInCO, mapped drives are networked) cannot work with RH, period (even fast drives don't help). RH must be installed on your local machine, under your login with administrator privilege, and you must then work with your projects on that local machine. Then, you generate to your local machine and publish to any network you want.

If your sys admin refuses to recognize these restraints, first collect the 7th blue bar and the 10th blue bar, and then go to your sys admin's cube and WHACK HIM OVER THE HEAD WITH THEM!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I wan't clear. I do not use the My Documents folder for anything!! I have changed every program I can to not use My Doucments (redirected network share) but use C:\MyLocalFIles

My RH7 install is to the local drive under my account with Admin permission, just like RH6 was.
My project is in C:\MyLocalFiles\RHProjects
The build path is C:\MyLocalFiles\RHBuilds

I only mention the My Documents folder in case RH7 does something RH6 never did.

The fact that the demo project builds OK, has me thinking that something in my converted project is the problem.
I did build one of the WebHelp Single Souce Layouts (SSL) successfully when I first converted to see what the breadcrumbs looked like, but haven't been able to build since then. (I have 20 WebHelp SSL defined and none work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a copy of your project and put it somewhere safe.

Then try deleting the CPD file before reopening. You will lose some details but first see if that makes a difference. If it does, then we can cover what to do next.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Already tried that twice with no change in outcome. I am now in the process of reinstalling RH7 although I doubt that will make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Reinstalled RHv7 - It won't install the update to 7.0.1 (get unable to complete install error message), but I can now generate! Go figure. Hopefully I don't need anything that release 7.0.1 has fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp