• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gmail Validation Failing

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping there is an answer out here that just hasn't been posted, have searched an exhaustive number of posts like these which did not have the answer or solution.

When trying to validate my gmail account in the Lightroom Email Account Manager, I keep getting the message "Validation Failed: Failed to establish connection with the outgoing email server.  Please make sure you ave entered the email account and password correctly."

Please believe that I've checked that my email and PW were typed in correctly 20 times over.  The settings that pop up are...

SMTP Server: smtp.googlemail.com (Gmail help forum actually says it should be smtp.gmail.com - have tried both to no avail)

SMTP Port: 465 (Gmail help forum says 587 is also an option if 465 doesn't work - have tried both to no avail)

Connection Security: SSL/TLS (also tried STARTTLS just for the heck of it, no avail)

Authentication Method: Password

I also have gone into Gmail and ensured both POP and IMAP are enabled, I also re-verified my gmail account via the "Unlocking the Captcha" link.

Here is an instruction page from Gmail - https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?rd=1#ts=1665018,1665144

This validation process is really straightforward, really can't figure out what I can do differently here.  Appreciate any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Your settings will usually be blocked by Google unless you set up an application password. You may receive a security email referring to an attempt to log-in to your account e.g. from Lightroom. Google calls these less secure apps but you are basically setting up a one-time password specific to Lightroom Classic.

Go to my blog link for instructions:

https://99jon.blogspot.com/p/how-to-set-up-app-specific-password-to.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your settings will usually be blocked by Google unless you set up an application password. You may receive a security email referring to an attempt to log-in to your account e.g. from Lightroom. Google calls these less secure apps but you are basically setting up a one-time password specific to Lightroom Classic.

Go to my blog link for instructions:

https://99jon.blogspot.com/p/how-to-set-up-app-specific-password-to.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly it, missed the email from Google initially but dug back through and saw it came through.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just configured my gmail account and you have to put smtp server name: smtp.gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I did exactly this and it worked. However, by doing this does this render our gmail accounts more vulnerable for other less secure apps? In other words should we turn this off after emailing the photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It doesn't change the security of the gmail account. You're just giving Lightroom access to it with that app password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you your suggestion worked, highly appreciated...

Deniz Senyurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is no way to enable this feature without opening up the possibility of having my Gmail account hacked? Google security standards are there for a reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through the same hassle. When LR is updated it doesn't even seem to pick up prior settings ...I could send email from LR before.

Now, seeing one has to lower security settings in order to even send email from LR ...I'm saying to heck with it and just sending the photos to a folder and then sending them via gmail from there. Boy ...they didn't even try to mess up the program deliberately with the recent updates ...just imagine the mess if they did. I've already lost a good customer due to the latest update not working and being 2 days late delivering time sensitive photos. Now between Lr and PS it's like peeling onions ...more and more tears with each layer. Marvelous ...just marvelous how customer focused they've become.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keep the security settings strong but set up an App password for specific programs such as Lightroom. Here's the current link for that page: https://myaccount.google.com/security?hl=en Then enter the Google-generated App password in the setup of your email server in the Lightroom dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CumberLinda....could you explain briefly how to generate an app password?  I looked and looked but couldn't find a way to do it at the link specified.

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that Google page is a section called "Signing into Google". In the first block, you should see App Passwords as one of the choices. Click on those words. Perhaps after signing in again, you'll have a page where you can Select App. Choose "Other" and type "Lightroom on my Mac (or whatever)". Then click on Generate. Once you have the app password, that's what you enter in the setup for Gmail in your Lightroom program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

Thanks...that's the first place I had looked actually.  I don't know why, but my "Signing into Google" page does not have "App passwords" in the first block, or anywhere on that page.

I do have a section called "Connected Apps and Sites", but when I click on "manage apps", all I see is a list of my apps and sites, with no way of adding a new one.

I've also gone here:

Sign in using App Passwords - Accounts Help

And I get the message "The setting you are looking for, is not available for your account."

Hmmmm....

Thanks for your help, I'll have to ask Google what is going on.

--

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK...I had to turn on "2 step verification process", and now I see "App Passwords" as one of the choices.

--

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you CumberLinda, I wasted a few hours looking at useless videos and help topics until I finally found your sage advice ;~)

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2016 Aug 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, CumberLinda!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2016 Jun 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked well.  Thank you, CumberLinda!  😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is when I am in love with Internet and the international community. Worked like a charm. Thanks CumberLinda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock Cumber Linda!!! Thanks so much for this quick and easy fix! Best help EVER!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You. This worked perfectly. Well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that was convoluted! Thanks for all the work, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines