Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Full Motion Recording - Monitor Screen turns all Red

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2008 Mar 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum,

I have having an issue with my system in terms of using full-motion recording and narration at the same time.
I am using Captivate 3.0. My OS is Windows XP SP2, the PC is an HP xw8400 Workstation, with 3 gb ram, and 3 ghz cpu. the video card is an NVIDIA Quadro FX 560.

I have a captivate project that I recorded using full motion, narration (mic, etc) and recorded how to open files, etc on my pc. I did not check "Disable hardware Accelleration" in the project preferences area.

Here is what happens, semi-intermittently:
I made the recording with screen shots and narration. All the slides in the edit panel (IDE) are fine when I view them in the ide environment. When I play the tutorial either using the function keys (F4 or F8) the app begins to play fine, audio, screen, etc. The after a short time during a drag and drop process from one window to another,
my screen (monitor) begins to pain the screen in red! It then fills the entire captivate screen with red, totally covering all the slides as they play. the audio is fine.

I have this same problem when I publish the file an port it to the web server. I am not sure if I should blame my hardware or the Captivate program.
Has anyone seen this ?

thanks,

eholz1
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Try performing a search of the forums for "Red Screen of Death".

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

I will check it out! Scary, the Red Screen of Death!
What about the Blue screen of death!

eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2008 Mar 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eholtz1,
I had the same problem - the guys at Adobe told me to limit the size of your captivate.cp file to less than 50 meg. I've been doing that now for 6 months - no red screen of death...<grin>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2008 Apr 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello Sorry_Rich_C,

I learned about the 50 meg thing a while back, and try to cut things up.
Also, read somewhere that "full motion" recording is ok on 1 or 2 slides, but anymore, best not to use fullmotion recording. Oh well.
It seems that Captivate is not really suited for large tutorials or e-learning designs. The tutorials we create (where I work) are all quite large in the number of screen shots used to convey the message to the user. I have one tutorial with audio, and 60 slides, that I can still edit, and get to run, but it is quite large (cp file-wise) 115mb. This really a no-no, but since it works I am leaving it alone. I will guess that the cp/slides/script could be broken down to 2 or 3 slide chunks, with some sections (lesson or demo) allowed to have maybe 6 or 7 slides max. then I could propably keep the 50 meg rule per cp. I would then have about (in the case of this app) 10 to 12 cp files to link.

Thanks,
eholz1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources