Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Searching for text with a non-breaking space

Contributor ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

If I want to Find & Replace, how can I ask Find & Replace to search for something with a non-breaking space?

For example, 250_kg (_ being the non-breaking space) that needs to be replaced by 400 lb.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the dialogue box code for the non-breaking space, e.g. \<space>.

For more details on these codes, see: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/WSd817046a44e105e21e63e3d11ab7f7862b-7fd5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I have similar problem. I have text where non breaking space is present and some where not.

So now I want to search for both of them.

Let's say I have text "L_2" and "L 2", where _ is non breaking space and the other one is normal space.

How I can search for both occurrences. I tried it in FrameMaker12 with regular expression, but then the "\ " is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Let's say I have text "L_2" and "L 2", where _ is non breaking space and the other one is normal space. How I can search for both occurrences.

Search for L[ \ ]2

with Use Wildcards enabled.

Searching on L*2 or L?2 with Wildcards should also work, but doesn't, at least on FM7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. This works !!!

Are there any other options for em-space and other spaces? Or this will work for all spaces?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Are there any other options for em-space and other spaces? Or this will work for all spaces?

Searching for [\x10|\x11|\x12|\x13|\x14|\x20]
with Wildcards enabled
finds all the spaces supported by FM7.
\x20 is hex notation for the normal space.

Not having FM8 or later, I can't tell you if the search dialog also supports \u1234 Unicode notation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think we're in luck here … one quick test has FM12 finding a character via Unicode.

unicode.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines