Exit

Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2008 Mar 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getting this error when trying to edit a .xpj file

"Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine"

It is being generated when I try to upgrade the project to a newer version.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thank You
TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This issue almost made me return RH. Tech Support couldn't help. Finally found some info on Google and IT WORKED. Perfectly. Need to un/register a DLL. Here's the Google posting (tomrevell.conforums.com)
------------------
Click on Start and then on Run. Paste the following into the run line:

Regsvr32.exe /u C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll

Click the OK button. Then, click Start and then Run again, and paste:

Regsvr32.exe C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll

and click OK

That should get rid of the message.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will give this a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. No Joy. Thanks for the try though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2008 Mar 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there are other DLLs that also need reregistering. Don't know which ones though. Have any changes been made/applied to your PC (e.g. new programs added) that could have messed up your DLLs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2008 Mar 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried Tech Support, they suggested my opening the project with the Trial version corrupted the project to open with the full version. I definitely couldn't find the way back, even using an older version out of SourceSafe. Which makes me think installing hte trial version impacts DLLs. I couldn't find anything online for RH, but stumbled onto the DLL fix in a C++ user site. Peter Grainger probalby knows something about this. He usually has the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2008 Mar 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No pressure then!

Sorry but RH relies on Windows being able to support a runtime Access database which it should. The problem is, I think, with Windows rather than RH.

Paste your error message into Google. It seems to get a lot of hits.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2008 Mar 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that could be a windows error as well. I will check with Adobe support to see if they have a solution. Thank You. Also, have googled this error but unable to zero in on anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from RoboHTML version 5 to version 8 via the trial download of 8. When I attempted to open a RH5 project into RH8, this error message appeared. Ran the fix described and Success!

The whole process:

What I  did:
Step 1. Uninstalled  RoboHelp 5 and the two patches to RoboHelp 5.
Step 2. Installed  RoboHTML 8.
Step 3. Start  RoboHTML 8, typed in the serial number at the prompt. RH8 should display.
Step 4: Floundering.  I tried opening an existing RH5 project in RH8 and I got an error, "Unable to  initialize DAO/Jet db engine." I also found that I was unable to create a help  project from scratch. This told me that it was an installation problem, not a  file import problem.
I went into Control  Panel>Add or Remove Programs, chose Uninstall, then when offered the option  to validate the install I chose that radio button. Process ran. Received message  that the validation was successful.
I then downloaded  RoboHelp again and re-installed... still didn't work, so I checked the forums  and found Step 5. I'm thinking that you can skip the floundering step and go  directly to Step 5.
Step 5. Ran patch as  follows:
    Click on Start and then on Run. Paste  the following into the run text box:
    Regsvr32.exe /u  C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll
    Click the OK button.
    Alert message  should display that registering the DLL succeeded.
    Click Start and then Run again, and  paste the following into the run text box:

Regsvr32.exe  C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll

and click OK
    Alert message should display that registering the DLL succeeded.

Step 6:  Success! Once I followed these steps, I could then start a new project  from scratch in RH8 and also import an existing online help project from RH5  into RH8.
Before  importing any existing RH5 help into RH8, be sure to make a ZIP and put it  somewhere safe, just in case things blow up. It shouldn't, but a backup is cheap  insurance.
Note that once  you open the RH5 project, you won't be able to open it in RH5  again.
NOTE: RH8  looks far more like Dreamweaver CS4 than like RH5. There is going to be a  learning curve on this one. I don't even immediately see how to define my TOC...  I'm sure it's there, it's just hiding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved that problem by adding and registering dao360.dll in Program files (x86) directory. not Program files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp