• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot copy and paste text into Photoshop CS6

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to copy and paste text from non-Adobe programs (like Keynote or Word) into Photoshop CS6. I get an error message reading "Could not complete the Paste Text command because the clipboard data is empty or invalid." I have tried shutting down Photoshop, shutting down other programs, re-starting my computer, adjusting my Preferences and asking Adobe for help by phone and chat. I am on a new iMac and have no third party plug-ins installed. Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Photoshop for some reason sometimes does not like the formatting of the text in the clipboard. Paste the copy into Text Edit or something similar and convert it to Plain Text. Copy that into the clipboard and it should paste fine into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never tried to do this before but fired up Word and was able to paste text in. Since the button is not greyed out in PS (you get an error message rather than the inability to click paste button), and given the error message, it seems more like a clipboard problem than a PS problem. So, can you paste from Adobe programs into Photoshop? And can you paste no problem outside of Photoshop? Wish I could be more immediately helpful but I think you really have to make sure that this is a Photoshop problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences?  Start PS and hold down cmd option and shift keys.  You will get a reset window.

Can you copy and paste from Word to other programs?

Are all the operations on the same internal drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crw1381,

Did you figure out what the problem was?  At work we use openoffice for docs sent to us by the copywritter.  I used to be able to copy and paste from openoffice and also from word docs straight into photoshop and indesign.  We just downloaded the new Creative Cloud Suite and now i get this same error only SOMETIMES when I try to copy something from openoffice (.doc) files into both InDesign CC and Photoshop CC...  Note that it's only sometimes, not all the times.  I wonder what the problem might be.  Please let me know if you figure it out.

The error states:

"Could not complete the Paste Text command because the clipboard data is empty or invalid."

Thank you.

MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop for some reason sometimes does not like the formatting of the text in the clipboard. Paste the copy into Text Edit or something similar and convert it to Plain Text. Copy that into the clipboard and it should paste fine into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a time consuming work around. This is a bug either on Apple's end or Adobe's end. You guys need to figure this out. It works for now for me to copy from my Notes app to Word, then copy and paste from there, but this is an annoyance that should be eliminated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday i update Yosemite and Adobe Photoshop CS6

i found error text message like you everytime when i used fontAwesome on Adobe Photoshop CS6 and then i found out to fix this problems Yeahh…

Try My Way to fix it out

-> copy The Text you want to use

-> paste your text (from your clipboard) To App TextEdit

-> then Copy again

-> back to Photoshop paste it on your document layout

-> Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the text edit trick but It doesn't work for me... I have the same error message : " Could not complete the Paste Text command because the clipboard data is empty or invalid. "

We have to find a solution to this huge problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved it this way :

- Copy in Text edit

- Select the text

- Text edit  > Format > Convert to plain text

- Copy and Paste in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a solution, but shouldn't adobe come up with solution instead??? I've experienced a bunch of new bugs in photoshop CC since I switched from CS5 to CC. I'm really disappointed in the product! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And probably people will now going to advise me to go back to CS5, but thats inpossible since I bought a iMac 5k with retina display. It sucks big time. Hate to spend time on finding ways to get things work (which worked fine in the past).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure they will soon, this is a huge bug... Meanwhile we will have some fun copying and pasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had to resort to this swell.

unbeliable bug in 2015, after 25 years of shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, working with CS6 on Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Text Edit detour is NO SOLUTION. Even spent almost 1 hour in Support Chat – they said it's not even a known bug at Adobe – though the web's forums are full with it. They'd let me reset preferences, even restart with new admin user and safe mode – though it was clear from the beginning it would not help. Very disappointed here b/c they don't even admit it's a bug in a pricy app. Adobe, get on with it! Solve it – it is such a basic task!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We experienced a similar problem at our web service company. Our designer is working with a mac running the latest OS Yosemite. She got trouble with pasting text from the browser into Photoshop (with the same error message).

When it comes to pasting text from a website into Photoshop, we figured out that it only affects Safari. We tried to copy and paste text from the same website but with Firefox and it worked.

Greetings~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here - still. Recognized this since the last PS CC Update. Before it worked fine.

I can't copy paste from mails in PS. It works when I put the text in the Subject Form Field and than copy it out from there. Stupid.

I hope they'll fix it with one of the hext updates. It's really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue here on my Mac running Yosemite El Capitan!! So Adobe... -> This IS a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello adobe support? Please can you react? I have the samen problem since today.. i will delete the whole program and installed one more time, i hope it works. Otherwise i am lost here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I write in applications that specialize in - well- text to afterwards copy-paste it in PS (CC on El Capitan). I've done this for year, and suddenly ... quite annoying and in fact a bug critical to my production work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here … It only works using text edit as intermediate step. Booo Adobe, just boo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found one quick solution that worked for me. I was trying to copy text from a Word Document to Photoshop CC 2015. I had to save the Word document as a PDF document and then copy it from the PDF to Photoshop and it works.

I agree that adobe should solve this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem for me and my cooworker (both Mac OS X Yosemite).

Everytime we are trying to copy anything from e.g. Word or a Mail client - we cannot paste it to Photoshop CC (fully updated). All we can do to not re-write everything is to paste it to TextEdit/browser adress bar and recopy it from there. In other words - everything what do not have text transformations/html (= plain text) will work.

This is pretty annoying, especially for many little misspelling fixing.

The other 2 cookers (Win10 and Mac 10.9) do not have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too encounter this issue. However, I'll be attempting to copy a vector item from Illustrator to Photoshop.

Usually shutting down & restarting helps things along. This process is inconvenient while at work and most frustrating because the issue crops up sporadically.

running: Adobe CS5, Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I come up with a weird solution but it does the job...

Copy pasted my text in gmail, then from there copy pasted it to photoshop and it worked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines