Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Baggage Files (and other things) Not Working

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2008 Mar 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in RH 7 on Vista.

I have several issues: Baggage Files that don't work, Preview that doesn't work, and hyperlinks to files on my hard drive that do not seem to work.

Baggage Files and Hard Drive file Access:
I created a Baggage file for an excel spreadsheet that will not display when I generate my files. The link is 'dead'.
Same response with the file connected via a hard drive file connection.

Prior to this... I lost the functionality of my preview 'key'.

Any ideas how this could have possibly happened?

Cindy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cindy and welcome to the RH community.
My first question would be "Is the project located on a network drive?" If it is, that is probably the source of your woes as RH projects do not like being located anywhere other than a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum and thank you for the response.

(Un) forturnately, my project is not located on a network drive. I have it nestled nicely on my hard drive (albeit 5 folders in). Do you think that may be the issue? I have other projects nestled that deep into the file structure and have no issues with those projects.

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say.
Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2008 Mar 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been issues with long paths but five levels down should not be an issue unless each level has a long name. When you add the baggage file, does it display in the baggage folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 17, 2008 Mar 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum brings up a valid point, about the baggage file actually being added. Even RH X5 sometimes adopted a mulish attitude about this, often requiring users to manually add the files to the rhbag.apj file with a basic text editor like Notepad (mirroring the same format that the .apj file uses already).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2008 Mar 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. My baggage file is there (it is an excel worksheet). And... when I published my document to the Intranet site, it displayed. So... for now, I am fine with the result.

On to issue #2. When I select the eye glasses to preview the active WYSIWYG page, I cannot get my project page to display.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 09, 2008 Jul 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, Cindy is way ahead of me. I can't even find the Baggage Files folder in RH7. In Help it says it's in the Project Manager pod. But it's not displaying in my projects. Where the heck is it?
Thanks.
Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an icon in Project Manager that let's you toggle the view. In traditional mode, you see a folder called Baggage Files. In the new view the baggage files appear in the true folder along with images and topics.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

In case it will help, I've put up a tiny little demo of this beastie. You may view it by clicking the link below:

Click here to view the demo

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all of the feedback. I appreciate the little video clip too. However, the eyeglasses I was talking about in the 6th post (Issue #2) were the glasses used for the short cut option to preview, rather than generate, my project.

Any ideas on this?
Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter -
I do have a dual-monitor set-up. Any insights?
C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy

I think Rick was responding to Eileen's question rather than yours.

So click Preview and nothing happens. Do you by any chance have a dual monitor setup?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'oh! That is correct. I was responding to Eileen's post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do have a dual monitor setup, see Snippet 61 on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have dual monitors, and all was well for awhile and then... nothing.

Not sure getting my 'preview' back is worth all of the steps involved. I will generate projects for now and will keep Snippet 61 'in my pocket' for the time being.
Thanks!
Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
There are four simple steps.

1] Click the View icon, so that the Preview is in focus.
2] Press Alt, Space, M
3] Press any arrow key, then waggle your mouse around. The window should snap from wherever it is hiding onto your cursor.
4] Click to put it down.

That's too difficult?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp