• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Release all compound paths at the same time?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Platform: PC/Windows XP SP2
Adobe: Illustrator CS3 (13.0.2)

Is it possible to release all compound paths in an illustration at the same time (and if so - how)?

I receive drawings from engineering in either PDF or CGM format, which I edit in Illustrator and save as AI. I have to release compound paths in order to delete specific parts of the drawing.

This isn't difficult, but it is very time-consuming because the CGM(or PDF)-to-Illustrator conversion results in quite a few compound paths.

Thanks - I appreciate your help,

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all, go to Object>Compound Path>Release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry -- I forgot to mention that I tried that; some of the compound paths were released but there were still quite a few that weren't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...That's always worked for me. Are the ones that aren't getting released part of a clipping mask, or locked, or on a different layer, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above... I'll spend some time to see if I can figure out what the un-released paths have in common & repost if I figure it out. Thanks - I really appreciate you replying so quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they all compound paths or are some of them compound shapes?

Screen shot 2010-07-20 at 2.51.53 PM.jpg

Try release/expand compound shape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jesseham,

Yeah, they are all compound paths. If I ever resolve this, I'll leave a post. Thanks,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they grouped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure out how to release all compound paths at once? I tried the Select All, Object, Compound Path, Release. After I did this 3 times, the 4th time Release was grayed out, so I couldn't select it. It was helpful but still left my PDF-converted-to-AI drawing with "connected" entities. There seems to be a difference between selecting via a window crossing vs. selecting via clicking. I am still unable to select the entities I want to edit without including other unwanted entities. Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOUNDS LIKE THOSE OBJECTS ARE GROUPED, PRESS CTRL-SHIFT-G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the help, no need to shout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use this script

var doc=activeDocument;

var sel = doc.selection;

var len = sel.length;

while(len--)

{

if(sel[len].typename ==="CompoundPathItem"){

sel[len].selected=false;

}

}

alert("Only non-compound items are selected.");

Source: Scripting Illustrator: Select Compound Paths only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines