• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player v19 fails ActiveX installation on IE v11 (Win7 Ultimate)

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to successfully play videos presumably requiring Flash Player (eg, Facebook) in my Internet Explorer 11 browser for quite awhile now.  A few weeks ago they stopped playing, and IE displays the error message that Flash Player is required for such videos.  I attempted download and installation of Flash Player from adobe.com several times, each time the installer launches, downloads to 100%, and proceeds to install but always fails with error "ActiveX Control could not be registered".

I have tried the following install scenarios:

(1) downloading & running the independent activex control install package from adobe

(2) turning off my Symantec/Norton anti-virus during download & install

(3) opening Task Manager and ending the iexplorer.exe processes still showing after closing IE

(4) not opening Task Manager, allowing iexplorer.exe processes (2 of them) to continue running after closing the IE app.

(5) made sure that IE "ActiveX Filtering" is turned OFF (ie, Unchecked)

Other info:

- running IE version 11.0.9699.18097, with Update Version 11.0.25 (KB3100773)

- running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit w/latest updates

- running Symantec Norton Security Suite version 22.5.4.24 with current live updates

- Adobe Flash Player does NOT show up in the IE Manage Add-ons list of extensions; Shockwave player does show but is disabled and cannot be enabled, also pdf Reader shows and works/enabled

- MICROSOFT IE SECURITY UPDATE on 10 Nov 2015: KB310073, a security update that restricts Jscript & VBscript use, prompted by malicious remote control websites; see the following: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3100773 and pay attention there to the link to a Microsoft Security bulletin with info on restricting Jscript & VBscript use.

Does Flash Player installer use Jscript of VBscript? Or is it affected in any other way by the recent Microsoft Windows KB3100773 security update?  Or by some other recent Microsoft Windows update?  What should I try next?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Hi eeeehaw,

That link worked.  Thank you.

As I suspected, this is a permission issue with the installation.  Did the issue start around Nov 11?  We released the latest version of Flash Player on Nov 11 and the installation, via Background Update, appears to be successful on that date (no errors in the log file), however, I'm seeing numerous failed attempts to install Flash Player for IE after that.  The most recent attempt today is failing due to permissions errors.  The FAQ How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eeeehaw,

The EXE installer, which I believe is what you're using based on the error you're reporting, does not use Jscript or VBScript.  "Could not be registered" error normally indicates file system or registry permissions issues are preventing the ActiveX Control to register.  I'd like to take a look at the FlashInstall.log file in your system to see what errors are being recorded.  The FlashInstall.log file is saved at C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash.  The file will most likely be too big to post in your reply, as such, please upload the file to cloud.adobe.com using the instructions How to share a document or using some other file sharing service of your choice.  Post the link to the uploaded file in your reply.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more bit of info, perhaps a clue:

I noticed in my quickstart menu an app icon for "Adobe Updater" with a balloon that an update is available...so I clicked, downloaded, and installed the update for the Updater.  Then re-tried installing FlashPlayer.  This time the installer behaved a bit differerently, running longer, and ended with error message "Failed to Register" (but no mention of ActiveX).  I updated the FlashInstall.log file after that, should be accessible via same above link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eeeehaw,

I'm not able to access the file.  Clicking on the link opens a new page and a message stating "The item won't load right now."  The URL also seems to indicate some sort of error.

Capture.JPG

I don't think the Adobe Updater icon you're seeing is related to Flash Player.  Flash Player updater has never used a quick-start menu item. If you're referring to the system tray (bottom right, next to the task bar) Flash Player updates haven't been advertised in this manner (via system tray notification) since Flash Player 7.  If you have other Adobe products installed it's possible one of those other products is advertising an update.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

If that doesn't work, both OneDrive and GoogleDrive want an email address to send a link for the file to.  Do you have one I can send it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eeeehaw,

That link worked.  Thank you.

As I suspected, this is a permission issue with the installation.  Did the issue start around Nov 11?  We released the latest version of Flash Player on Nov 11 and the installation, via Background Update, appears to be successful on that date (no errors in the log file), however, I'm seeing numerous failed attempts to install Flash Player for IE after that.  The most recent attempt today is failing due to permissions errors.  The FAQ How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player? has information on how to fix this  This runs a script to reset permissions on various Flash Player registry entries and files.  If this doesn't work you can try a less restrictive script from Microsost as per this tech note https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003.  While this tech note refers to Windows Updates, the error (0x80070005) is the same being returned on the Flash Player file preventing the installation.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, THX Maria!  Great support, you're the bomb!

I don't remember exactly when the problem began, but I can certainly buy  the date 11Nov2015.  During the process of downloading the SubInACL.exe program from Microsoft and the reset_fp.bat from Adobe, I found where I already had the SubInACL.exe resource kit installed on my PC along with a reset_fp15.bat file from 2014 (which I don't recall doing now), so there must have been a similar issue back then.  Anyway, Flash Player installed with no errors, and videos are playing once more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi eeeehaw,

Great. I'm glad running the reset_fp.cmd file worked for you.  We don't know what causes the permissions to be modified, but the script usually fixes it.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines