Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashes at startup

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

since installing OSX lion my InDesign 5.5 crashes at startup. I tried renewing permissions, but that dind't work.

Maybe someone here knows, how to fix this.

http://pastebin.com/aKWJJsJ9

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Java is up and running. Uninstalled/reinstalled ID twice. Other user accounts work without any problems. It s really strange...

OK, the information that other user accounts work means it really cannot be an installation problem. So reinstalling won't help and Java isn't related to the problem., etc., etc.

As Peter suggested, I have a list of folders/files to remove from your user Library directory. Note that under Lion, you must hold down Option to see the Library folder in the Go menu of the Fin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you trash your preferences?

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John and thanks for the reply. Yes, actually i did trash the preferences, but it didnt help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install Java?

Try a different user account?

If that doesn't fix it, I'd reinstall InDesign. OS upgrades can be troublesome, and an ID uninstall/reinstall doesn't take that long anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Java is up and running. Uninstalled/reinstalled ID twice. Other user accounts work without any problems. It s really strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall again, then run the clean tool: Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool and reinstall, or you can wait for John to come back with a list of files/folders to try removing from your user library. Something in there is corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, wait. I think we don't think the cleaner tool is going to help. As far as I'm aware, it does not remove user-specific state, so if the problem goes with a user account, the cleaner tool won't help...gotta find that list, back in a bit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

Wait, wait. I think we don't think the cleaner tool is going to help. As far as I'm aware, it does not remove user-specific state, so if the problem goes with a user account, the cleaner tool won't help...gotta find that list, back in a bit...

OK, I've never had to run the tool on any of my systems, and I'm on Windows, so I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed it would remove all traces, including user profile or library folders (the uninstallers will do that, if you tell them to). I've got a test system to break down in the next month or two, though, so I'll try to remember to run the tool and see what happens before I restore my clean image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

thanks for the help, Johns tip worked out quite well, no crashes anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

believe it or not but right now i've got the same Problem with Photoshop. If i open a psd file, photoshop crashes almost instantly.

Any suggestions, what it could be this time?

I will post the crash report in a minute.

Thanks a lot

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you run Suitcase?

Have you tried trashing the Photoshop prefs? I think there's just one file for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

just trashed the preferences, it didnt help.

Here is the crash report:

http://pastebin.com/mF63A2fC

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John is the main man for this, but it looks to me like the problem is in Font Xplorer, so most likely either there is a bad font on the system, or there's an incompatibility. You might want to see if there are updates, or remove the auto-activation plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

good idea, i thought about a font problem,too. Where do i remove the plug ins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be plugins folders for each application. I'm on Windows, so I can't tell you where, exactly, to look on your Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

i just updated fontexplorer to the latest free version 1.2.3 and it seems to work now.

Thanks for the fast reply, very much appreciated!

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier wrote:

John is the main man for this, but it looks to me like the problem is in Font Xplorer, so most likely either there is a bad font on the system, or there's an incompatibility. You might want to see if there are updates, or remove the auto-activation plugins.

Looks like it got straightened out, but yes, the crash was clearly in Font Xplorer.

good idea, i thought about a font problem,too. Where do i remove the plug ins?

At the end of the crash report it tells you where the files are:

0x111bb3000 -        0x11249aff7 +FontExplorer X Pro for Photoshop CS5 (3.2.1 - ???) <C8383148-9AB8-2C07-43C6-3B19E7D0E0B6> /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1/*/FontExplorer X for Photoshop CS5.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FontExplorer X Pro for Photoshop CS5

So in this case: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5.1/Plug-Ins/FontExplorer X for Photoshop CS5.plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign crashing 5 seconds after the start up, tried deleting the files as mentioned in the earlier thread...

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version? OS? Do you have a crash report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6

crash - Pastebin.com

Help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first, patch InDesign to 8.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still not working!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a new crash report...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crsh-2 - Pastebin.com

I tried patching it dint work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines