• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH Editing My CSS while Generating

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2008 Mar 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any idea how to prevent RoboHELP from editing my style sheets when it generates my Help output?

Example style before generating:

.procedure-substep {
font-size:13px;
list-style-type:lower-alpha;
margin-bottom:5px;
list-style-image: none;
}

Same style after generating:

.procedure-substep {
margin-bottom:5px; }

The removal of "list-style-image: none" is breaking my styles.

Any info will be helpful.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 19, 2008 Mar 19, 2008
Hi,

I find that RH will not delete the image tag when it has this form:

.procedure-substep {
list-style-image: url();
}

Would this work for you?
Also, do you need a parallel style

LI.procedure-substep

?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2008 Mar 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello? Does anyone from Adobe frequent these forums to answer such questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi asutton1 and welcome to the RH community.

These forums are peer to peer forums and are rarely visited by Adobe staff. That said, there is a wealth of experience amongst the user community so we should be able to help.

However to do this we do need as much information as you are able to give us. Does this behaviour occur in just one topic, one project? What RH version are you using? Also I am not sure what the ".procedure-substep {" is referring to. Can you tell us what you are doing to generate this code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Hi asutton1 and welcome to the RH community.

These forums are peer to peer forums and are rarely visited by Adobe staff. That said, there is a wealth of experience amongst the user community so we should be able to help.

However to do this we do need as much information as you are able to give us. Does this behaviour occur in just one topic, one project? What RH version are you using? Also I am not sure what the ".procedure-substep {" is referring to. Can you tell us what you are doing to generate this code?

Hi, Colum. If you look at my original message, this situation is not topic or project specific, it has to do with the style sheets I use in my projects (.procedure-substep is a style in my main style sheet). It appears that during the process of generating my Help, RoboHelp (X5) is "cleaning up" my style sheets, removing some attributes, any comments, and any blank lines it encounters. I need it to not do this as it is breaking my styles within my topics by doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be surprised if I told you that I've not seen this issue come up in my four years on this forum? Nor have I ever encountered it in operation?

Therefore, all of us who normally jump in with responses have been feverishly mulling over just what questions to ask you, to zero in on some possible solutions. Since some of us are in advanced years, this sometimes takes awhile...

For a start: are you working the project on a network? If so, stop.

Might it be the hyphen that's causing grief?

What's the rationale for having a list class with a list-style-image: none; if you're also looking to achieve
list-style-type:lower-alpha;? Is RoboHelp perhaps being oh, so helpful by saying: You didn't really want that unnecessary attribute, did you?

And, what exactly is being broken?

Yep, that's us, all right: more questions than answers!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: MergeThis
Would you be surprised if I told you that I've not seen this issue come up in my four years on this forum? Nor have I ever encountered it in operation?

I would not. I am using Adobe Dreamweaver to create and maintain my topics and style sheets (for this very reason) so that I have a bit more control over the appearance of my Help topics. I use RH strictly for the TOC, Index, and compiling functionality. I don't know of anyone else that does so, though they must be out there since RH allows you to define other HTML editors as your default (though it seems to defeat the purpose to then violate the work done in these other tools).

quote:

Therefore, all of us who normally jump in with responses have been feverishly mulling over just what questions to ask you, to zero in on some possible solutions. Since some of us are in advanced years, this sometimes takes awhile...

For a start: are you working the project on a network? If so, stop.

I'm not.

quote:

Might it be the hyphen that's causing grief?

Other hyphenated styles are not impacted.

quote:

What's the rationale for having a list class with a list-style-image: none; if you're also looking to achieve
list-style-type:lower-alpha;? Is RoboHelp perhaps being oh, so helpful by saying: You didn't really want that unnecessary attribute, did you?

I have a style that is an unordered list with an image for the bullet. When I have an ordered list nested within my unordered list, the nested list takes on the image style unless I specifically tell it not to via the attribiute
"list-image-style: none". I think that RH is being <sarcasm>oh-so-helpful</sarcasm> by eliminating what it sees as a redundant attribute to this style. However, in my situation it is far from redundant. You can see this in operation for yourself by adding a comment to your style sheet and then opening the style sheet within your compiled help system. The comment is gone.

quote:

And, what exactly is being broken?

My ordered list takes on the style of the unordered list in which it is nested: a bulleted list with a custom image.

quote:

Yep, that's us, all right: more questions than answers!

That's what I have, too!

quote:

Good luck,
Leon

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I find that RH will not delete the image tag when it has this form:

.procedure-substep {
list-style-image: url();
}

Would this work for you?
Also, do you need a parallel style

LI.procedure-substep

?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You go, Harvey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2008 Apr 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, you can also solve the problem by adding the "!important" element to the list-style-image line:

{list-style-image: none !important;
}

Unlike the empty URL solution, this makes the display within the RoboHelp editor correct. This works for both .chms and Web Help.

Just thought I'd pass along the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 03, 2008 Apr 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many of us have looked or plan to look at W3C to check out
!important as a valid tag?

Will it also work on faulty html styles?

M_Boyd, you posted on 4/2, or I would have suspected an April Fool's joke.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ha! Nope, no joke. :-)

You can use "!important" to specify that the style definitions in your .css should not be overridden (for example, by inline formatting). I use a lot with table styles so that my .css style definitions take precedence over the inline formatting that RoboHelp adds when you create a table. (Faster than deleting the inline formatting.)

Who, me? A geeky control freak? Gosh, whatever gave you that idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp