Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find/Replace

Mar 21, 2008 Mar 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a couple of hundred topics that started off as: doc_as400_whatever.

I did a Find/Replace to rename the topics to: as400_whatever.

That seemed to work. All of the documents were renamed.

There's one problem...

All of the documents that were changed are marked as deleted.
All of them have the red X by them.

This is looking under Project Manager->HTML Files (Topics).

Please tell me there's a way to undelete this and what actually
caused this in the first place?

Thanks
Doug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2008 Mar 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug.
This sort of behaviour normally occurs where a file was renamed outside of RH (e.g. in Windows Explorer). If this what has happened, RH looses track of the file as you haven't told it that the files have been renamed. It is best to rename files inside RH. You have two options from here. Firstly point each RH file to the renamed topic or rename the files back to their previous names in Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2008 Mar 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Sorry I wasn't clear...all of this happened while I was in RoboHelp 7. I
did the Multi Find/Replace via the Toolbox.

Luckily I keep a backup of everything. I imported the old documents
and deleted all of the documents that were marked for deletion by
the Find/Replace.

Still kind of weird how this happened in the first place.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2008 Mar 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

The multi find/replace tool may sit inside the Tools tab but if you change things like file names, RH does not know anything about it. It is just like renaming a file in Windows Explorer. The only way to ensure RH knows about a file name change is to do so via the topic properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2008 Mar 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thats the strange part...the Find/Replace actually renamed my topics (and marked them
as delete).

I was looking for a way to do a massive rename for the Topics and thought I'd give the
Find/Replace a chance.

It renamed the topics, but then it again, it created that mess with the deletions.

Weird.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2008 Mar 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will find that most of the power users on these forums stay clear of the in built find and replace tool. It can be unpredictable and can't search over multiple lines of HTML. As RH's HTML is often spread over two ro more lines this makes it unusable. The favourites among people here are FAR and bkReplacem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Find and Replace being used to change the content of the <title> tag?

If so, no wonder there is a problem as you will be changing the title in the topic but not in RH's underlying database. That sort of confuses it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what I think happened...it changed the <title> tags.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You cannot use a find and replace tool to change that tag. That must be done through RH so that the database is maintained.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp