• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Visited Link Color

Mar 25, 2008 Mar 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm generating WebHelp with RH7. Each time I regenerate, the links I visited many moons ago, retain the purple color (as designated in the Visited style in the CSS). Shouldn't regeneration ensure that the links go back to blue (the Link style in CSS)?
Is this an IE thing? I've cleared my IE history, thinking it might retain the color properties. I have also switched the CSS order to LoVHAte. No luck.
My goal is to have a generated help system that displays the links as if they have never been visited. I'd like the separate color to work for Visited links in the final help.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly what you're asking for, you should be able to get what you want by changing the a:visited color property in your stylesheet to the same color as unvisited links. Then it should always look the same color, visited or not.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,
Thanks for your input. I have identified that as a workaround.
But, what I actually want is...1) previously visited links go back to blue when I regenerate the help. I don't want the help I distribute to have purple links. 2) When a user clicks a link in the generated help, I want that link to retain the purple for the session. The next time the user opens the help, links are blue.
The session stuff might be a stretch...but I would like a user to see a purple link.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing the IE history should restore the colour on your PC.

Look at the help from another PC and you should see only one colour when the help is first accessed. The links will then only change colour if they are not specified to be the same.

I think there is something in Snippets on my site about all this.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,
As always, thanks for your reply.
I have done as you suggested, to no avail. Even after clearing the history on my PC, links still appear purple. Further, the purple carries over to other users as well, even though they have never used the links.
The "visited" designation appears to be embedded in the output...I don't know if that's possible, but it sounds good.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So with your help sitting on a server, you access it and click say the very first link and it changes colour. Then another person accesses that help from the server but using their PC and that link shows as visited before they click it?

Following that logic, if I visit some site and the links change, then you visit it and don't click a link but the links show to you as visited. Not possible. The visited links are held on each PC for each user.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Sorry. Perhaps I wasn't very clear.
The issue is that the links are purple before they are even clicked. I clear the IE history, then I generate help from my PC. Any link that I visited prior to generation retains its purple state in the generated help.
Does this clarify the issue.
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you calling multiple style sheets in your topics? If so, the first one listed would, I believe, override styles in the other(s).

There could only be two other reasons that I can think of:

1. There's some cache setting that's not allowing the cache to clear after a session.

2. The styles are not written like the following, which has worked beautifully for us. Note the expanded letter-spacing we use to differentiate the link visually where we only underline the hover mode.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestions and the sample CSS info. I'll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2008 Aug 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ConTextCB, I'm having the same problem exactly as you describe. 1) Did the code fix your problem? If so, 2) can you pretty please tell me how to insert it into my css? I have only 1 css. thanx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 21, 2008 Aug 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hijinx,
If memory serves me correctly, I addressed the problem using a combination of suggestions from responders.
The Authoring/HTML section of Peter Grainge's site (URL in his reply) includes a discussion of style order within the CSS. As I recall, that was key information.
I also cleaned up the RH-generated CSS a bit. For some reason, it repeatedly adds the following comment: "/*Created with Adobe RoboHelp.*/"
Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2008 Sep 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I just generated WebHelp and had the same problem of the visited link color appearing in the generated system. I finally remembered how to resolve it: in my browser options, I cleared the history and the cache. That works every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp