• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate in RoboHelp 7

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the four files Captivate created (htm, skin swf, movie swf, and js) into my baggage files. I created the help file and linked to the htm file in baggage. Then I went into hyperlink properties and tried to change it to open a new window. I clicked okay and nothing happened.

I'm going to go crazy.

Actually, now I'm going to go HOME and take some Ibuprofen--hopefully a genius on the forums will be able to answer my question and I'll check back in the morning. 🙂

Thanks for the help.

-Jenn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenn and welcome to our community

Do things work fine as long as the link isn't attempted in a new window? For example, does the link work to display the Captivate in the existing window?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Jenn

What is your output type? .CHM, WebHelp, FlashHelp, JavaHelp, GimmeHelp, GoHelpYourself?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer the first question, the movie does work in the same window, but then you have to scroll to see it all, making it less than user friendly...

Output time is WebHelp. It gets incorporated into the software.

Thanks for trying to help. (I actually emailed you off the forums too, but I know you're teaching a class the next 2 days so wasn't sure if you'd have a chance to answer.)

🙂

-Jenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Jenn

Okay, one more question. Sorry

How exactly are you linking?

* From a link on a page to the Baggage file?
* From a link on a page to the HTM file you imported as part of the project?
* From a Table of Contents entry to the Baggage file?
* From a Table of Contents entry to the HTM file you imported as part of the project?

And when you are testing the links, where is the project?
* On a web server?
* On your local PC?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jenn and welcome.

Hmm. I'm trying to figure why you imported even the .HTM file into baggage? This would not normally be necessary in RoboHelp 7. If you just go File > Import and point to the published Captivate movie's .HTM, the rest of the files come along for the ride.

Regardless, if you did import them all into baggage, that's ok too. You probably did a drag and drop from the baggage .HTM file to a link in your topic and then tried to change the Hyperlink properties to new window? I actually tested this and it works properly for me (opens in new window just fine).

Now, I'll add to Rick's list of questions.
When you say, "I created the help file and linked to the htm file in baggage." What exactly do you mean "created the help file"? Do you mean a topic?

Popup blockers? What browser are you using?

Though the above scenario seems to work for me, if you're still having problems there are alternatives. A workaround might be to change the link to custom sized popup if that helps break out of the topic pane so folks would not have to scroll. There are also simple JavaScripts that can launch browser windows if that's what you need.

If you'll describe your ideal scenario, I'll bet we can figure it out.
Hope you're having fun in class Rick!
Thanx
john
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2008 Mar 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linking from a link on a page to the htm baggage file (why did I import it into baggage? Because I was told to by the person who used to have my job...)

When I tested the page on my PC through the preview in RoboHelp, it actually worked fine. Probably because the preview only shows that page as a full window--not in a frame within help.

The file was imported into the actual software and doesn't work right there in the frame.

I have a topic that introduces the movie and then a link on that topic to the Captivate movie's htm page that Captivate created. Ideally, it will open in its own window, full-size, so that users can take the course without scrolling.

Thanks so much for taking time to try to help me!

-Jenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! And John--yes I did exactly as you stated in the second paragraph there--imported into baggage, then dragged over to the link then tried to change the properties.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CRAP!!!

I just tried pulling the files out of baggage and then linking to the htm as just a file to import it all. I still can't make the new window property work. When I change the "Display in Frame" to New Window, the OK button doesn't even work.

That's what was happening yesterday too...

I am 99% certain that this is not an ID-10-T error or a loose nut behind the keyboard.

This is too big a problem on not enough coffee...

-Jenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. And when I try to set it to display in a specific sized pop-up, I get this stinkin' error:

"The destination "Tutorials/Hospital Preference List_training-wAddedSlides1.htm" cannot be displayed in a frame. The target frame has been reset to "Page Default".

Any ideas???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried renaming the Captivate to something shorter and then tried creating a hyperlink the standard way, by highlighting the text in the topic I want to be the actual link, right clicking on it, choosing Create hyperlink, then linking to a file.

I didn't even try to change the setting of where the link would display and the OK button still doesn't work.

Has anybody else had this happen? Do I need to have my IS&T support folks just reload RoboHelp?

This has never happened to me before.

-Jenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenn

You available tomorrow? If you like, I can work with you via desktop sharing to see what is going on. Something dreadful happened with my E-Mail and I lost about the last year's worth of messages. So I'm missing what you sent last night.

If you are up for that, ping me again please.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops...pressed the post button twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Rick:

I sent an email to you.

Thank you for the offer. I hope to be able to take you up on it. (See email)

-Jenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp