• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with CPD File in RH7

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2008 Mar 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background: I had an X5 project that I converted to RH7. A couple of weeks ago a got a message that my CPD file was corrupted. It said to delete it and a new one would be built. This didn't work- I can't remember why. So I
followed instructions to compress and repair the CPD file using Access (I had a back up copy of my project before the CPD corrupted). This seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks. Today I got another error message when I was closing the project- nothing specific- just if I wanted to report it to Microsoft. When I reopened the project most of
the links were broken. This time I deleted the CPD file and another one was created when I reopened the project-and the broken links were repaired. Does this have something to do with the upgrade to RH7? I'm worried that I will continue to have problems with the CPD file in the future.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jaguarxox -

In case you aren't aware, MS Access db files are not the most stable files in the tool box (but better than .doc files). That being said, I rarely have had a db problem with RoboHelp - perhaps three times in many years.

I have found two "typical" causes for corruption:
1) a character doesn't get written , an "invalid" character gets written or a character is left out of the db file which causes the app to wig out;
2) a bad spot on the hard drive (it may only be a couple bytes in size).

Can't do much about #1 except poke into the file with Access and see if you can identify the culpret (could be one of your project files with an "invalid" character). I ended up deleting the file and had RH rebuild it.

#2 requires you to scan/test your hard drive with a utility, something you should do every couple months anyway.

(Note that other things can cause your problem.)

I doubt you will have this problem very often - if you do, and you have tested your drive, then there is likely a "problem" with one file in your project.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, jaguarxox, and
Welcome to the forum!.

A basic point -- I always ask if I don't see it in a post -- by any chance is your project directory on a network drive? If so, you should move it to your local hard drive.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2008 Mar 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: HKabaker
A basic point -- I always ask if I don't see it in a post -- by any chance is your project directory on a network drive? If so, you should move it to your local hard drive.

Harvey

Hello Harvey -

Good point!

I keep forgetting about that as I learned years ago not to work projects over the network.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp