• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get to new distribution page

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently received an email from Adobe stating the distribution page was changing.  So I followed the instructions and created an Adobe ID, verified my email and I thought everything was fine.  I click the link provided in the email to get to the distribution page that states it will be live on Dec 8th and it just keeps coming up with the info page and no links to download the files like the old pages.  My license is current just reapplied in Sept of this year.  So I will just use the old pages but I want to make sure to get this working before those links a decommissioned.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jamesd76165359,

Thanks for the info. I'll follow-up with the appropriate team.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I find this incredibly frustrating and stupid of Adobe. They said in that email that the replacement pages would be live today, but on Upcoming Flash Player Distribution Changes FAQ , chris.campbell says the download page won't be live until the 10th! They can't even get on the same page for a date!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here I thought it was just me!  Taking a rest after jumping through too many unnecessary hoops!!!

On the other hand, there is a downloadable at the old distribution site.  (It isn't decommissioned until mid January.)  However, there is only one download there.  A short time ago, they started doing something that required two downloads, and now they are back to just one.  It updated Active X to 20.0.0.228, but not NPAPI.  I dunno...

Maybe someone out there has the answer.  If they do, Adobe failed to make this complicated enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bridavid99a,

We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

All files should be available on the https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html page.  If you're using a different page (including a localized version of this page), please post the URL. If the link you have is for the distribution4.html page, please private message me the URL.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you don't understand is that we don't want to use that link if it's already on the chopping block by Adobe. The entire point is to use a new page that might be able to make it to the age of 3 before Adobe decides to kill it, too. My links for flash player have always been distribution4.html pages. What is the difference between distribution3 and distribution4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James for reporting. There was a last min glitch in the new process that we found and the fix is underway. We had already send out the email indicating Dec 8th date and did not want to spam your mailbox with a new one. We should have the system running within the next couple of days. Apology for the confusion caused.

Thank you very much for reaching out to us regarding this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anamika Chadha wrote:

did not want to spam your mailbox with a new one

Yeah....I have a feeling that's not the reason. But if that helps Adobe employees sleep at night, that's ok too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info and posting back.  I will mark answered once I have tested the new link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get a distribution license? How did you guys get one? I am willing to pay, is there a place I can order?

I rely on the .exe installers. Without them I'm screwed.

I applied for a Flash license using the instructions in the FAQ and this is what I got back:

"Dear Neil Bauer,

Thank you for submitting a request to distribute Adobe® Software. At this time, Adobe is unable to grant you permission to distribute the following:

• Adobe® Flash® Player
    • Adobe® Shockwave® Player

Your Request has been rejected for the following reasons:

• We do not accept applications from public or personal email accounts.

Regards,

Adobe Systems Incorporated

This is an auto-generated e-mail. Please do not respond to this message for customer service issues."

This doesn't read to me like it's a license that I can buy, it reads like some kind of club I'm not allowed to join because I'm not good enough or something!

What I find incredibly ironic, is the following:

Third parties have been spoofing the Flash Player download pages in an attempt to spread malware.  We are enabling Adobe ID login on the page in order to improve security and ensure that only licensed users have access to the distribution binaries.

Yet, by denying people like me access to the .exe installer downloads that we need, you force us to try to seek out an alternate download site, which makes it MUCH MORE LIKELY, NOT less, that malware will spread, because you kick us off of a trusted site like adobe.com and onto third party sites, many of which (I'm sure) will be spoofing the downloads to spread malware, which is the very thing you are (supposedly) seeking to prevent.

If you really are trying to prevent the spread of malware, why not force users to create an Adobe ID to install Flash using the in-browser install? This is the page that is more commonly spoofed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 100%. The solution is to be transparent, not make any sort of secret club. That's not how you build business. It's asinine to think that hiding the installation files away for your product will make anything more secure. They should just have all of their installation files available for download.

It reminds me of a recent situation I had with a vendor who uses java. I needed java 6, but oracle doesn't host it on their website. For java 6 you need to create an account, jump through hoops, and pay up to get the oracle exe installers for that java version. I was completely screwed. Thankfully the vendor had a copy of java 6 that they passed on to me to use, but what would my resort otherwise have been? If Adobe can see the frustration I just described, then they can take appropriate action to ensure that it doesn't happen. Too bad they won't.

Oh, and wouldn't you know, it is December 10th and the new flash player page still isn't online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi N.Bauer,

In most instances there is no fee to distribute Flash Player.  Very, very few scenarios fall under a fee to distribute. The email you received is clear in the reason for the denial.  Permitted uses under the license is outlined in the Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe‌.Since distribution is within an org (business, educational institution, etc) or media being distributed by a company, a non-personal email address is required.

If you have questions you can contact an Adobe Mobile & Devices representative‌ with your concerns.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't intend to distribute within an org or with a media produced by a company. I just need the .exe installer downloads for technical reasons, and you're taking that away.

The instruction you give EVERYONE IN A FAQ is, "Starting on December 8th, 2015 please apply for a new license," which I did, and got denied. If ONLY distribution within an organization or with media being distributed by an organization is allowed for a license, that needs to be stated in the FAQ.

The FAQ states, "Third parties have been spoofing the Flash Player download pages in an attempt to spread malware.  We are enabling Adobe ID login on the page in order to improve security and ensure that only licensed users have access to the distribution binaries." Based on the above, that isn't entirely the truth, is it?

Based on the above, one can conclude that Adobe's official position is that starting January 22 2016, ONLY organizations may have access to the .exe installer downloads from Adobe Internet sites.

Unless there's something I'm not understanding, or something that an Adobe representative could further clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi N.Bauer,

The FAQ you refer to is intended to be a clarification for the change. Information on licensing Flash Player is available at the following resources:

These pages contain information on licensing Flash Player, and permitted uses for licensing Flash Player.  These documents are not new.  If your situation falls outside one of the scenarios mentioned, please contact a representative regarding your specific situation.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines