2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2017 2:11 AM by austina55381705

Sony FS7 files (XAVC-Long GOP) ingested by FCPX won't open in Premiere Pro CC

nlamping

All -

I'm looking to switch NLEs from Final Cut Pro X to Premiere Pro CC. I have been shooting with the Sony FS7 and ingesting/editing the files in FCPX, which re-wraps the .mxf file to .mov with the codec being listed as xalg (I assume short for xavc- long gop?). Anyway, in the past I have had no problem importing these files into Premiere Pro CC, but now with Premiere Pro CC 2015 v9.1 I get an error message reading "Codec missing or unavailable." I've been searching for plug-ins to support xavc in Premiere and any information on the issue in forums, but I can't seem to find anything. If anyone knows of any solution it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

• 1. Re: Sony FS7 files (XAVC-Long GOP) ingested by FCPX won't open in Premiere Pro CC
          Jonah_Lee

Just had the same issue. Footage shot on a Sony that was originally an MXF, and was imported into Final Cut Pro X. The resulting mov files are XALG compressed, and I can't get them to work in anything (can hear the audio in quicktime). And the thing is I have Motion installed so I have the Apple Pro Codecs, and quicktime should open these. But even Quicktime X has to recompress them, and then all I get is a white picture.

I was lucky enough to get the original camera cards sent to me so I could get the MXF files off of them, and import those directly into Premiere. Honestly if Motion can't open the files, I am not going to buy Final Cut Pro X just to open the files. FCP X needs to play files natively and not wrap them in an unreadable file format!

• 2. Re: Sony FS7 files (XAVC-Long GOP) ingested by FCPX won't open in Premiere Pro CC
            austina55381705

Having same Issue.
            Is there a workaround to just re-transcode these files in a 3rd party software?

What else reads these files?

Working on feature film... There is no way I can go back to every single source clip, match in and out, then reassemble...

by the delivery date.