• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-installing/Repairing the built-in Flash Player for Windows 10 (Egde)

Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

While I was trying to disable the "PRESS ESC TO EXIT FULL SCREEN" message which I find extremely annoying, I came across some website where a guy claimed he had found some patch (at least for IE, Chrome and Firefox) for it.

So I went on and tried it. Unfortunately, instead of solving this issue it caused the built-in flash player for Windows Edge(/IE 11) to stop working. The Adobe's troubleshooting page is of no help, and I really cannot find a way to uninstall/reinstall nor repair the above mentioned Flash player. (Note that with the installed Flash player for Chrome, somewhat obviously, still works).

So my question is: can I repair/re-install this built-in Flash player or shall I just go with the brute-force solution and format my PC because of this damaged file?

Many thanks in advance for your attention and help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Many thanks for your kind and elaborated reply!

I ran the command and it showed that there were indeed corrupted files but it did not manage to fix them. So I went for your second option and, after realizing that you cannot download Windows updates online anymore, I went for a last option and checked if there had been Flash Updates in the past days... and for my very fortune there turned up to be one right the other day. So I went on disinstalling the update and afterwards letting Windows Update

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since Microsoft embeds Flash Player in Internet Explorer (and Edge) they consider it to be a protected file system file, and to my knowledge, Microsoft doesn't provide a standalone installer to re-install (or repair) Flash Player for IE (and Edge) on Windows 8 and above.  You can try one of the following options to repair the deleted Flash Player from your system:

• Run System File Checker to repair files/permissions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
  • Find a previous Flash Player Update for IE/Edge KB article and run the installer.  See Microsoft Security Advisory 2755801 for links to KB articles for previous version of Flash Player updates for IE/Edge which contain links to download the updates.
    • You may need to do this several times until you find one that works, that is if you find one that works.

If these options do not fix the problem, please contact Microsoft customer support or their community forums.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your kind and elaborated reply!

I ran the command and it showed that there were indeed corrupted files but it did not manage to fix them. So I went for your second option and, after realizing that you cannot download Windows updates online anymore, I went for a last option and checked if there had been Flash Updates in the past days... and for my very fortune there turned up to be one right the other day. So I went on disinstalling the update and afterwards letting Windows Update reinstall it and it turned out to work! So issue solved

Thanks again!

PS: I marked my answer as the correct one so that people can deal with this issue the same way as I did, although you clearly gave me the right input. I hope it is alright with you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I'm glad that particular solution worked for you.  Sometimes one solution works for someone and another for someone else, which is why we include various recommendations (and sometimes none of them work, it just depends).

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines