Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set conditional tag to all table cells including the content

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using FM12, unstructured. I would like to set the entire content of a chapter to a certain conditional text (by selecting all content and setting the condition).

My problem is with tables. This action only sets the table as a frame, but does not set the table cell contents as conditional. Is there a simple way to do this without scripting?

Thanks in advance,

Hani

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

I received a simple solution in the FrameMaker community - Set conditional tag to all table cells including the content

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hani,

It would require scripting to make the contents of each table cell conditional, or all of the rows, but if the table anchor is conditional, the whole table should get hidden when you hide the text.

If you are making the entire chapter content conditional, you may be better to just Exclude the file from the book (right-click on the book component in the book window and check Exclude).

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick for your reply. Let me explain the motivation. We have a document which is accessible only to specific customers, out of which we wish to create a smaller, rather basic document that will become publicly accessible. Since the document changes frequently, we wish to remain with one master source and not split the  documents.

We wish to hide a lot of proprietary content by conditionalizing entire chapters as non-public first, and then just conditionalizing some text and certain cells of tables as public. Please see the figure below for illustration. The highlighted table cells are the ones we wish to expose publicly, and hide the rest. We have hundreds of tables in the book, so there is a lot of manual work for the first version, but marking the public text and table cells is much easier than marking the non-public. If there is a way to set all table fields (cell text, not entire rows/columns), as conditional, then it would make our work much easier.

So I probably need scripting. Does anyone know of a publicly available script that sets all cell contents as conditional? I have a FrameScript license, but currently I don't have a scripter.

Thanks again.

FM_capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a simple solution in the FrameMaker community - Set conditional tag to all table cells including the content

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like Winfried's solution is a good one. I am curious on where the data comes from and how you get it into your FrameMaker tables. If the data is updated often, this may be a good candidate for scripting. If you want to talk about it, please contact me offlist. Thanks. rick at frameexpert dot com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

The tables are rather stable and have been manually developed over the years. So you are right; were the tables automatically or frequently regenerated, then we would have needed to do scripting for sure.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,

Hani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines