• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bugs, undocumented features, or my error?!

Apr 01, 2008 Apr 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am learning RoboHelp and have run into problems. Can someone here explain if the problems I am running into are bugs in the program or if I just cannot find the right instructions?

1. In the Topic List pod, I cannot get any menus to come up when I right-click a filename. But I can get context menus on all of the other pods.
2. Also in the Topic List pod: I cannot change how the list is displayed. It gives me a list view but will not give me any other view. I cannot change it from a filename.ext type of list. I can convert it for all of the relevant pods.
3. Why can’t I get multiple levels of topics in my help? If you look at these screenshots, the right arrow which would push the ”USB Adapter, Serial, and null modem topics out one level in the table of contents is greyed out.
If I try pushing the primary topic to the left it goes to the bottom of the list rather than sitting directly under the book title.
I have seen plenty of help systems with multiple levels of help in the table of contents to know it can be done.
(missing screenshots)
4. When I tried to make a template, I ran into a problem where I no longer got my topic title at the top of the page. Instead of retyping it, but there has got to be a way to auto-insert my file topic name into the heading. I suspect it has to do with conditional text, but I cannot find instructions on how to make it into a conditional text or even a variable like in FrameMaker.

I am running RoboHelp 7.01 on Windows XP.

Thanks,

Marjorie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2008 Apr 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two options here. One it is a project problem, two it is an installation problem. Oh, and a possible third, is the project on a network drive? (I doubt this would have the effect described but we have to rule it out.)

To sort out the first two, create a new simple project on your hard disk and test that OR open one of the supplied sample projects. If it has the same problems, then I think I would uninstall and reinstall.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pulled up some other sample files both from the Adobe directory and from the textbook's disc. None of them let me do anything with the right click on the Topic List pod.
I am not running through a network but I did install the entire TechComm Suite on my secondary disc. (dual boot: Win2k on C and XP on D) I had originally had Framemaker only on my primary disc but I deinstalled it and installed the entire suite on the other disc because I was running out of room.
As I was working through my lessons today I notice I was missing several categories in my customize commands dialog box. I suspect they are related.

So do I need to find room on my primary disc to install the entire program or should I be able to deinstall and then reinstall on my secondary disc.

Thanks
marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen people have problems installing to a D drive without dual boot. Unless anyone posts back indicating they have successfully done what you want to do, I think this question needs to be raised with Adobe.

It seems highly probable your setup is the cause of the problem but I would not like to give that as a definitive answer.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marjorie,

This gets interesting when you consider the location of your project files.

Is the project stored on C or D?
Think of where the registry resides, in relation to the application and the project directory. Off the top of my head, you'd want the project on C rather than D, but that still may not work.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some projects are on the D (boot) drive and others are on the C (secondary) drive. Basically as long as I install a program while I am in a certain operating system, I can run it there.

I have cleared space out on my boot disc and will try disinstalling from the secondary disc and reinstalling onto the boot disc. I will let you know what happens then.

Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but the C drive is running Windows 2000 which does not support TCS so the program cannot be installed there.

Even on a single boot set up, it's OK to have the project on the D drive, or even an external hard disk, just not on a network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you say earlier C is configured to run Windows 2K?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2008 Apr 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer was originally Win2k and when I recently upgraded to XP I set it up as dual boot, keeping 2k on the original C drive and installing XP on the D drive.

I removed the program from the C drive and cleaned up as many directories as I could find on both the C and D drives. I also emptied the recycle bins and defragmented my discs before I installed robohelp again. I did NOT try to clean up the registry.

But to no avail. I still have no context menus in the Topic List Pod. As far as I can tell so far, this is the only problem I am having. I tried installing on another XP machine and thecontest menus work fine in the Topic List pod there.

It sounds like I have a Windows problem. Is there anything I can do short of lobotomizing my computer?

Thanks,
Marjorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2008 Apr 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you install TCS on the C drive, that will not work as TCS does not work under Windows 2000.

If you install it on the D drive, I am not sure that will work as people have reported issues with that, even when the the OS is on C and is correct for the version of RH (TCS was not around then).

My guess is this configuration is just not going to work but you will need to speak to Technical Support for confirmation.

Do you have access to another machine where you can install the trial version to verify things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 04, 2008 Apr 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marjorie,

You must have your reasons for clinging to Win2000, but by now, XP SP2 is reliable for anything I do. Whenever someone mentions Vista here, I make a loud, whimpering sound. I'm reluctant to push too hard for a PC upgrade.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumb reason, when I did the XP upgrade, it wouild not let me put XP home edition over 2k pro. But it would let me set up dual boot. Go Figure. But whenever my husband suggests me getting a new machine I cringe at the thought of Windows Vista and office 2007!!

But if the dual boot is causing the problem with my context menus....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not saying it IS the cause but that it COULD be. That's why I have suggested you contact Technical Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Upgrading to XP requires a clean disk. You have to back up all documents externally and import them after XP is running. Also you must reinstalle all applications that XP leaves out.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp