• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting activation server error - bad device key message when trying to activate my MacBook Pro to Digital Editions. Help?

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I downloaded Digital Editions so I can access library books on my Kobo. However, once downloaded and installed, when I went to activate my MacBook Pro, I kept getting the message: "activation server error - Code e auth_bad_device_key. Digital Editions encountered an error on the activation server."

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? When I plug in my Kobo via USB, ADE reads the Kobo and accepts activation but not for my laptop.

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open Adobe Digital Wditions.
  2. Press Command+Shift+D to deauthorize Adobe Digital Editions.
  3. Select Erase Authorization.
  4. Click OK and quit Adobe Digital Editions.
  5. Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.
    If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden library files | Mac OS 10.7 and later.
  6. Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nanaky,

I have a Mac with OS 10.11.1. My Library is visible in Finder so I clicked my way to the activation.dat file for Adobe and removed it to the trash. Opened up ADE again and still getting the same error message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Empty the trash that the file is gone and then authorize again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that. Same error message that I can't authorize my laptop. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Digital Edition you used ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally used 4.5 then deleted those files and downloaded 3.0. Still same message. I then set up another Adobe ID account with a different email address and tried to authorize my Mac. Still the same bad server message.

I don't know what to do now. Thoughts? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the older version 1.7.2: Adobe Digital Editions for Mac Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed 1.7.2 and still the same message now plus this: "Error communicating with Adobe server. Try again later."

I think I'll remove the files and try shutting down my computer and then reinstalling. Will let you know if I get the same message. *sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines