• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running Windows XP (32-bit) and Firefox (most recent updated version) and am able to download the appropriately-selected flashplayer installer which, when double-clicked on, will not open.

Dec 25, 2015 Dec 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made several attempts to update flashplayer, in response to Firefox disabling the now-outdated version repeatedly, and no matter how many copies of the installer I download, double-clicking on the file is a futile effort.  The file simply refuses to open.

HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take a look at what i posted here: Cannot install the latest Flash Player for FF into my Vista system

Maybe that may assist?

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the new installer files seem suspect, and this was my initial presumption, leading me here.....to a help forum. If Adobe can find a 'fix' for this dilemma, I'm ready to hear it.

In the immortal words of Socrates,"I drank what?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presented Adobe with a simple one click installer solution months ago, I have several one click fix solutions, for whatever reasons they don't want to make it easy; prob because of that McAfee bloatware they are getting paid to promote..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always indicate that I don't want the free MacAfee software, because I am already running two highly efficient anti-virus programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone 'sees' McAfee Security Scan Plus there and since you are forced to opt out of it nobody thinks a reputable company like Adobe would do something like that to people; its about greed.

Maybe your Virus software is interfering with the install. there was a post about that somewhere...

I have some things to try in that post if you are interested, maybe that can assist you in solving this issue.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried temporarily suspending my anti-virus software, and it had no effect.  The file will still not open.  If it were a problem with my system, the file would attempt to open and my system would send me an error message.  That is not, however, the case.  Double-clicking on the file renders absolutely no result.  It is as if there is a component missing in the file, itself, preventing it from being recognized as an executable file. In the immortal words of Socrates,"I drank what?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you try the manual method that I outlined on that post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it before I arrived in the forum.  It was a no-go.  Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having EXACTLY the same problem!

I keep clicking the icon but the installer new launched, AT ALL!

I have also tried EVERYTHING they suggested in HELP, etc...

Someone please help with this issue!

My computer is not without flash player, so I only open sites with HTML5 like YouTube!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe doesn't find a fix for this, and soon, I feel forced to look for alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You all should go up to my first post in this thread, click on that link to another thread, I posted a link in that thread, it is the third one in there and make sure you read what I have said in that paragraph, so you know what to download, and see if that helps.

Sitting around waiting for Adobe to provide a simple click and fix solution i bet will not happen, you will have to fumble through files, get logs, etc...

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@buzl36424994‌ and @lanziqing

Do you have a Service Pack installed on your XP system?  If so, which one?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Service Pack 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a certificate issue and XP SP2 not supporting sha256, which is what the online installer is signed with.  You can try the standalone installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page in the 'Still having problems' section, however, there is no guarantee that it'll work.  If it doesn't work, the alternative is to upgrade your system to something that supports the latest cryptographic technologies necessary to sign binary installers.  You'll begin see similar behaviour (installers not working) with more applications as Microsoft will stop recognizing the validity of apps signed with the older sha-1 certificate in 2016 (see Security Advisory 2880823: Recommendation to discontinue use of SHA-1 - Security Research & Defense ...)

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with upgrading my system is that it entails purchasing all new software to replace what I have, already, as what I have installed is configured for compatability with my current system.  I don't have the small fortune it would cost to purchase an entirely new system and all new software.

I will find a replacement for flashplayer that isn't so eletist. There must surely be one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you upgrade to Window 7 chances are the majority of your software will work, but you will eventually have to face reality that windows XP is severely outdated, not supported Microsoft anymore. You should seriously think about upgrading to at least Windows 7 so you can stay somewhat current. The GUI is obviously different, you can't stay on XP forever because as stated above things will stop functioning and it will get to the point where you can't even update your browser and browse the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, bust my buttons!  If that don't beat all......

I had to reboot my computer and when I did, even before activating my browser, a prompt to upgrade flashplayer appeared, presumably activated by my 'always update' selection. Without opening my browser, I clicked on "install" and the process went as smooth as silk!

Who knows how or why?  I'm not going to question it. In the immortal words of Socrates,"I drank what?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The auto-update installers use a different technology from the online installers, therefore, it worked without issue.  You can rely on this for future releases, but as C S said, Windows XP is very outdated and no longer supported by Microsoft, which means you're not getting any security updates and your system is quite vulnerable to any number of attacks.  You should really consider updating to a modern, supported OS.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your trend-following judgment.  When the first one of you feels like it, you can fork out the cash that I don't have for a new system and the software needed to replace what I have that would not be supported by that new system.  Since I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen I will thank you all for a whole lot of nothing and bid you all adieu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines