• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 - ADE not detected when I download books from public library

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2015 Dec 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Windows 10 and ADE 4.5, when I download a book from a public library it simply downloads the .epub file to whatever directory I choose.  To get it into ADE, I have to go through the "Add to Library" function within ADE.

That's fine, but ADE does not recognize it as a borrowed book, so I cannot return it when I finish it.  I am approaching the maximum number of books I can have checked out at the same time from my local library because these books cannot be returned.  I apparently have to wait fro them to expire.

Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Well, I got the answer today from our local library.

The books I was downloading just happened to be "Open EPUB" books, meaning they have no DRM protection.  I can keep them as long as I want. 

An unintended consequence of these "loans" is that there is no way to return the books before their due date, so they sit on my library account, running up the number of books I have checked out.  The librarian told me that if I really need to return them early so I can check out more books I could email a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I did try ADE 4.0 and 3.0. 

No change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Button for return gray out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct, it's  grayed out, and the library books that I import with the "Add to Library" function do not show up in the "Borrowed" category of ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case contact you Library. I have the same problem before. In this case the eBooks (which has the issue) could not be returned. Ask you Library for it or ask if you can check your server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input.  Based on your suggestion, I tried downloading an EPUB book from a different library, and, sure enough, it worked just fine.  It downloaded the .acsm file rather than the .epub file, and ADE used the .acsm file to download the book, putting it in the "Borrowed" category, where I could return it.

I have sent a message to the local library about the problem, but am not hopeful of a quick fix.  They seem a little thin in technical staff.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I got the answer today from our local library.

The books I was downloading just happened to be "Open EPUB" books, meaning they have no DRM protection.  I can keep them as long as I want. 

An unintended consequence of these "loans" is that there is no way to return the books before their due date, so they sit on my library account, running up the number of books I have checked out.  The librarian told me that if I really need to return them early so I can check out more books I could email a request to her and she can return them manually.

Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines