• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot install the latest Flash Player for FF into my Vista system

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A really weird event just happened.  I found that Foxfire had disabled my Flash Player 19,

stating that it was out of date and dangerous.

So I went to the Adobe site and downloaded the install for the latest version, the file name

is flashplayer20_a_install.exe with a file size of 1.163  MB.

But when I double-click the file, nothing happens.  I expected to have the popup with the

query to Run the file, but got nothing.  I opened the Windows Task Manager and saw no

listing in the 'Applications' tab for the install routine, which means it's not running.

I thought maybe the presence of FP19 might be a problem, so I uninstalled it.  Still could

not run the FP20 install.  So I deleted the install program, downloaded it from another website,

and this program was named flashplayer20_ha_install.exe.  Before running it, I restarted my

computer to reinitialize everything.  I double-clicked it and again got nothing.

In rummaging thru my Downloads folder, I found an old install program for FP 16.  I clicked

on it and was able to install Flash Player 16.  By the way, the file size for this install program

was 17.7 MB, which is 17 times as big as the install programs for FP20.  With FP16 still

present, I again tried to install FP20 with the same futile results.

So these current install programs seem Suspect.  Can anyone shed any light on what's going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

so adobe uses stub installers, which means that it is a small program that goes out and gets the program. The reason for this is because of the download page; that page contains an optional McAfee installer, that is the reason they use the stubs this way it allows them to bundle that extra bloatware.

There are a couple options for you to do:

1) Preform a fully manual uninstall and re-install kind of a pain.

2) A clean install if things do not seem to work, even more of a pain.

3) Use a scripted unin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so adobe uses stub installers, which means that it is a small program that goes out and gets the program. The reason for this is because of the download page; that page contains an optional McAfee installer, that is the reason they use the stubs this way it allows them to bundle that extra bloatware.

There are a couple options for you to do:

1) Preform a fully manual uninstall and re-install kind of a pain.

2) A clean install if things do not seem to work, even more of a pain.

3) Use a scripted uninstall, clean up, and re-install

To do the uninstall you need to get the uninstall file here:

http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe

Right click, and run as administrator

Next you will need the two files 1 is for Internet explorer flash and the other is for your Firefox Flash Player

Right Click, and Run as administrator

If these files are not running for some reason, try a reboot and run them, if they are still not running then you could have something wrong with your system, you Antivirus preventing it, or a piece of malware or virus.

IF the manual install does not work try going here: Adobe Flash Updater - Browse /BAT version at SourceForge.net

get the downloadFlash_XPandUP.cmd file. ( you can right click and edit to see contents. Basically this file will do the uninstall, and clean install of your plash player versions for you. Once again right click and run as administrator.

Judging by the fact that you were able to install the older flash player; which is the actual reall install not the stub seems to indicate something is blocking the stub programs to run.

Hopefully that gives you some direction

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 25, 2015 Dec 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi leeb86385142,

This may happen because of a certificate issue. The installer uses the SHA256 certificate, which may not be compatible with a computer that is running Windows Vista SP2.

If this is your setup, head over to the Microsoft Support page to download an update for your operating system.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Maria.  I do believe I am using SP2, so that may be why it won't install.

I was able to update FP16 to FP20 by using the  Adobe Flash Updater - Browse /BAT version at SourceForge.net

as suggested by Carm01.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines