Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Word file, numbers do not continue after an image

Apr 04, 2008 Apr 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We import huge Word files that are full of Step/Action tables with images separating the tables. These are output files from another tool. In RH5 the tables import and the numbers are hard coded - they are not RH numbers but all are there.

In RH7 the first table has a 1 in the Step column and its a RH numbered item. The table has 2 rows - a header and a single line step. Then a screen image appears below the table. Then the 2nd Step/Action table.

In the 2nd table...and all tables below it the "Step" column is blank in the row where the number should appear. The header is fine. All the text under Action is fine. But the step numbers are missing.

These files have anywhere from 20 - 100+ steps. This is a huge issue for us. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct/change? Right now we are hand numbering...that will just not work as a long-term solution.

All suggestions are gratefully accepted!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008
Peter has solved this! The answer is to save the Word file as "webpage-filtered". this apparently changes the auto-numbers into hard coded numbers and they import perfectly. BLESS PETER!!! I imagine that there are other 'gifts' from Word that might benefit from this solution so this is very good to know.

As always, the Forum has saved my butt and to all of you true experts out there...please know that us middle-of-the-road authors greatly appreciate your time, energy, expertise and willingness ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further development:

In RH7 if you create a table (Step/Action) and use Word numbering for the steps in the left column...when you import that file the first number appears but the subsequent numbers are changed to bullets...that only show on preview. In the authoring mode they are simply gone...but when you view the topic they are bullets.

This is a serious issue - does anyone have a solution? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take cover chaps! Teri's posting.

Teri, this is not going to be easy to resolve via a forum because this sort of issue has to be seen to get to the bottom of it.

Here's what I want you to do.

Take one of these "huge Word documents" and create a copy. In the copy trash most of the content leaving just enough to get one example of the problem.

Import that document into a brand new RH project and prove to yourself it still has the problem.

If it does, first of all have a jolly good poke around as in a small project like that, you may spot the problem.

If then you cannot see it, then email me and I will give you instructions on getting that document and the test project to me.

... and you know what the price is going to be! [Standby for MergeThis to chip in]

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah Peter...hoping you would chime in! Yes...the price will be paid in dark chocolate!!!

It does it in multiple projects. I can send you a word file if you tell me how that you could import and see what you get. I can email you screen prints of the things we're seeing if we can do this outside of the forum - I don't know how to send files via the forum.

I will love you to death (even more than now!) if you can fix this!!!! I have maybe 500 docs headed my way that are all going to do this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, created a brand new project and imported one file. same problem.

The first step is numbered...all follow on tables are 'blank' in the Step field in the editor and show a bullet when you preview the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Peter has solved this! The answer is to save the Word file as "webpage-filtered". this apparently changes the auto-numbers into hard coded numbers and they import perfectly. BLESS PETER!!! I imagine that there are other 'gifts' from Word that might benefit from this solution so this is very good to know.

As always, the Forum has saved my butt and to all of you true experts out there...please know that us middle-of-the-road authors greatly appreciate your time, energy, expertise and willingness to share it all!!! Without you we would be absolutely dead in the water.

Save as webpage-filtered. What a solution! Take care...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp