• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extending the timeline in Photoshop CS6

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6, I cannot find the option to extend the duration of my photoshop document.  I am using Photoshop to make a short hand-drawn animated film.  Currently, the document is 300 frames long, but I would like to extend that to 400 frames.  Can anyone help, please? (I'm working in timeline mode, not frame mode.)

I could easily change the duration of a document in CS5 by clicking on the little drop-down menu in the top right corner of the animation panel, then going to "Document Settings" where I could change the duration and the frame rate.  When I click the drop-down in CS6, I find the frame rate option, but no duration.

It seems like this is a simple necessary option, and I hope I'm just missing something very obvious here.

Thank you for any help you can provide (including alternative workflows.)

-Justin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to extend the timeline by just extending one of the clips. I'm not on my CS6 machine, so I can't verify and I can't seem to find the pertinent help info, either. *d'oh*

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. Thanks for the help. It was so simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was helpful! However, is there any way or window that would allow me to manually enter in a set time instead of just extending one of the clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to get a reply to artman2i's question as i can't find a thing on the internet about how to manually change clip duration in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's not stupid, It's "Advanced"" 

Thanks again Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to extend the whole animation duration at once like it was possible in CS5. Is this not possible anymore? I can't believe it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are aware of the little box in the upright corner of the clip on the timeline? Here you can set your duration / speed by right-clicking on it.

At least Photoshop CC has this and I guess it's also available in CS6.

_Timeline.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the modal dialogue you posted is not available in CS6. I guess the only workaround is to edit the whole animation in Photoshop CS 5 or 5.5. I won't buy CC for a feature which had been there in versions prior to CS6 – actually I expect to see this in a free update of Photoshop CS6. I am really wondering what the programmers of Photoshop are thinking to withdraw such an important feature like defining the overall lenght of an animation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

But I dont think in general there is enough help or control in using timeline animation

For example on my site I run a monthly animation comp. And alot of my members are new to animating (Im by no means an expert lol) But as its Xmas its an ideal theme for animating.

We have a size limit for each animation of 5MB which as you all know isnt a big size animating.

So they set their timelines to say 3 seconds and do each of their relevent timelines. Some upto 6/7/8 seperate ones which for beginners is pretty good. But there end results are normally over size 1st time checking.

The problems occur when they want to alter the lenths of the timeline. Its easy enough to shorten the lenths of the whole timeline lenth thats not a problem BUT its when we try to alter the duration and speed of EACH timeline is where the problem lies.

We cant move the keyframes in a timeline all together so we have to drag each keyframe to another position and of course it mucks up the animation as they dont end up in the right places thus screwing up the sequenc

All we need is some sort of control to alter each timelines length and speed or to select all the keyframes on an individual timeline so we can move them all together. Because if we change the length of f the timeline now the keyframes stay where they are and dont move to compensate for the alteration..

The only other way is to remake it which is a bugga lol

Message was edited by: Unionjack It doesnt seem that anyones interested in helping or commenting on this problem. Yet Im sure they appreciate us paying amazing money for the various applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there finally a workaround for Photoshop CS6? I was not able to change the length of more than one track at once in CC either. This is a degradation, not an update! Shame on you, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2016 Jan 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can achieve it

Just at the end of the layer's timeline, place you cursor. Just drag the Right Square Bracket with a two sided arrow like shown in the picture to the desired timeline. You can do the same with the start of the timeline too.Capture1.PNG

Happy animation !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why my timeline didnt show like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got Photoshop CC. I was able see the cursor at the end of the layers timeline, but it wouldn't let me extend it past the default duration settings. However, I figured it out by pressing down on the layer itself and dragging it to the right... it's a lame work around,... but it works.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 9.29.11 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines