• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?

Contributor ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I noticed my Macs' (Mac OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5 and Yosemite v10.10.5) 64-bit Chrome v47.0.2526.106's Flash players are still at v20.0.0.228. Accordng to Adobe - Flash Player, I should have b267. Checking Chrome's Help About say they are updated. And yes, I restarted Chrome web browsers and machines a few times. What's up? I never had this problem before. Did Google forget to update its Chromes on their ends?

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Hi,

My understanding is that it's a method Google uses to roll-out an update without doing a complete Chrome update and the component update eventually happens automatically.  This method is only required if a user wants to update the component prior to the automatic update happening.  More information is available here, Manage Chrome updates on Windows - Chrome for Work and Education Help‌.  While this page is for Windows, the 'Chrome Component Updater' section is applicable to both Mac and Wind

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It appears Google is updating Flash Player via component updates, as opposed to an update to Chrome itself.  To update Flash Player, do the following:

1. Launch Chrome and navigate to chrome://components
  2. In the list of components search for pepper_flash
  3. Click the Check for Update button
  4. Chrome will check for and install the update.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m_vargas wrote:

Hi,

It appears Google is updating Flash Player via component updates, as opposed to an update to Chrome itself.  To update Flash Player, do the following:

1. Launch Chrome and navigate to chrome://components
  2. In the list of components search for pepper_flash
  3. Click the Check for Update button
  4. Chrome will check for and install the update.

--

Maria

So, how are Chrome users supposed to update without doing this when they have automatic upgrades?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My understanding is that it's a method Google uses to roll-out an update without doing a complete Chrome update and the component update eventually happens automatically.  This method is only required if a user wants to update the component prior to the automatic update happening.  More information is available here, Manage Chrome updates on Windows - Chrome for Work and Education Help‌.  While this page is for Windows, the 'Chrome Component Updater' section is applicable to both Mac and Windows.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m_vargas wrote:

Hi,

My understanding is that it's a method Google uses to roll-out an update without doing a complete Chrome update and the component update eventually happens automatically.  This method is only required if a user wants to update the component prior to the automatic update happening.  More information is available here, Manage Chrome updates on Windows - Chrome for Work and Education Help.  While this page is for Windows, the 'Chrome Component Updater' section is applicable to both Mac and Windows.

--

Maria

Thanks Maria. I just noticed my Chrome's Flash players plugins were finally updated!

I wonder why Google took so long to release the security fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AntD00d wrote:

m_vargas wrote:

Hi,

My understanding is that it's a method Google uses to roll-out an update without doing a complete Chrome update and the component update eventually happens automatically.  This method is only required if a user wants to update the component prior to the automatic update happening.  More information is available here, Manage Chrome updates on Windows - Chrome for Work and Education Help.  While this page is for Windows, the 'Chrome Component Updater' section is applicable to both Mac and Windows.

--

Maria

Thanks Maria. I just noticed my Chrome's Flash players plugins were finally updated!

I wonder why Google took so long to release the security fixes.

According to https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/vPXw3G5GizI/chkbhugpDQAJ thread, Paula said it is a slow rollout. How slow is that? Like a week?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to that thread.  It's up to Google to decide if they want to release a Flash Player update via a Chrome update or a component update, and I've them update Flash Player via both mechanism.  It's been my experience that component updates seem to take a bit longer to update than a complete Chrome update.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have any insight as to how they decide which update mechanism to use and how quickly to roll out the update.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

m_vargas wrote:

Thanks for the link to that thread.  It's up to Google to decide if they want to release a Flash Player update via a Chrome update or a component update, and I've them update Flash Player via both mechanism.  It's been my experience that component updates seem to take a bit longer to update than a complete Chrome update.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have any insight as to how they decide which update mechanism to use and how quickly to roll out the update.

--

Maria

I would assume we could get it fast if it was a security update. Google sure took its sweet time. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines