• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are you interested in live-streaming your creative process on Twitch.tv?

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I'm a little new around here so I'll go ahead and introduce myself: I'm Kathleen (Kirker) Martin and I am working as the Support Product Manager for Mobile. Along with offering support for our mobile users, I am also a dedicated artist with a background in illustration. Recently, I have been live-streaming my creative process on Twitch.tv and I LOVE it.

Twitch is a huge online video broadcasting site. It is used primarily for streaming video games but has recently gotten a lot of attention for its Creative section (heard of the Twitch Bob Ross marathon?). Adobe even has its own channel where artists from all over the world (even a few of our own Adobe Evangelists!) stream their creative processes using a multitude of platforms.

Here's the link to the Adobe Channel --> Adobe Twitch Channel

Are you interested in broadcasting your work on the Adobe Channel? Please note that there is an application process to become a broadcaster on the Adobe Channel. Not only do you need to be skilled artists, but they need to be comfortable as a broadcasting personality . This means:

• engaging with chat and being comfortable chatting with viewers vocally. They're real people who will be interested in what you're doing and asking questions as well as sharing their thoughts (which is welcome!).
  • being comfortable on camera (yes, that means showing your face!)
  • being comfortable with Twitch culture. It can take some time to get used to the norms, as in any social environment. This can only be learned by spending time within the community, asking questions and participating in chat.
  • We are looking for high energy broadcasters who are able to work and chat at the same time. Viewers love hearing stories, being asked questions and hearing what you have to say about your craft. The broadcaster generally keeps up this pattern of working and chatting simultaneously for the duration of the stream.
  • We are also looking for creatives with great skills even if they are more quiet. We may want some "chillstreams", or we may pair you up with a commentator who can come into your stream on skype and do more of the chatting.
  • And of course, we need people who support Adobe’s branding by maintaining a positive tone and focusing on the art. This doesn't mean obsessing about the Adobe products, but it does mean keeping a professional attitude about your work and the channel.

So, how do I go about getting started?

1) Meet your community. Twitch.tv/Adobe is a great place to start learning about how Twitch works. Join the chat and explore a little on your own! Here's the main page for Twitch Creative with tons of other channels to enjoy: Twitch Creative main page

2) Get a couple streams under your belt! Feel free to post here or message me when you're going to begin so we can come watch and help if needed. (See the tips below for info on streaming software)

3) Please post here if you are interested in applying as well as a link to your channel.

More info:

• Here's a link to the most commonly used broadcasting software, OBS: https://obsproject.com/ ‌ . Set-up is a bit daunting but once you get the basics, it's a breeze.

(Keep in mind streaming from a Mac can be a little difficult but by no means impossible.. For example, 3rd part software like Sound Flower may be needed to output music audio while you stream )

Looking forward to hearing from you!

-Kathleenillustrated

Twitch.tv/kathleenillustrated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time I wouldn't be. Been checking it out for awhile and it is still to dominated by gamers and teen (read immature) chat. Even the artists all seem to be gaming graphics oriented. I'm not much into gaming and chatting with teenagers at my age.

I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if it develops into something more than just a hangout.

Having said that, some of the Photoshop artists are amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Brad!

Thanks for your reply. I apologize that it's taken me a bit to respond! I totally understand your qualms about the gamer/teen culture... it can be a bit trying at times I would urge you to check out some of the Adobe Evangelist streams on the channel, such as Michael Chaize and Rufus Deuchler on Monday and Thursday mornings (7am-9am PST) and Terry White's streams on Tuesday and Friday mornings at the same time. While they keep it professional and informative, they also seem to have a great time chatting and laughing with their viewers. I'm amazed at the number of questions they're asked... really educational. The gamers and teens may be at a different stage of life, but they are future or current Adobe product users that we'd love to get to know and support technically!

Thanks again for your time! Love the feedback.

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathleen,

Yeah I have been hanging out in the Twitch channel a bit lately (Screen name = Auroratec). Of course the evangelists have great sessions. I found a couple others that I can handle watching for a bit. If there was ever a way to keep the streams on topic it would rock.

Moltenink is another one I recommend following. Does great art but also offers up lots of great tips and advice on not only the art itself but on being an artist as well. And he's a fellow Canadian ... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested! I do fine art - I make ATC (artist trading cards) and share them with people all over the world. I use Copic markers mostly. I also paint on things like wood boxes, peg people, etc. I am also an ACI (Adobe Certified Instructor) and would love to broadcast tutorials me teaching, or whatever...

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Melissa!

Awesome! I'd love to see your process. I know that Twitch Creative viewers are REALLY interested in learning more about working with Copics specifically. Have you set up a Twitch account? I'd love to walk you through set-up or help in any way possible. Also, I apologize for the delayed response... Super excited to see what you create!

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathleen - I did set up an account, but I have no clue about any of it. I watched Terry White on Periscope - now I think I might want to give the FB streaming thing a try, too. I purchased a tripod for my phone on Terry's recommendation for recording. It would be great if we could connect and you can help me out! You can find my info on my website - creative-training.com. I'm teaching on the road this week, but I have time next week to play. I would love to get started ASAP and be streaming in January.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I was going to attempt to stream last night, but how do I do it with my iPhone? I can't record myself with my copics on the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Melissa! Just responded to your inbox but I thought I'd post this here in case it helps anyone in the future: Streaming from your phone may be possible! Mirroring is an option and if you have Mac, you can also stream through Quicktime (How to Record Your iPhone Screen in OS X Yosemite). However, most streamers do use a webcam for the best quality results. I use the Logitech c-920.

Thanks!

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa,

There is a device called ScanPad that I wrote about.  It is a system where your phone stays in place above your drawing area.  You simply hit record on your camera and then you draw under it.  Theoretically... an artist can create something that props his or her cell phone up above their drawing space and do the same thing.  Granted I have to say ScanPad has some other cool features.....  so at least read about the device.  This could be your solution.

Kenn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kenn - I checked out ScanPad. It didn't get funded. It's a great idea, but I have my workspace all set up. I just need to figure out how to get the video from my phone to live stream to Twitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Melissa! Did you have any luck using Quicktime to get your phone to work as your video device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did! I recorded a session and want to do more. It looks like it has been deleted already . I would love to actually have someone watching me next time... . If you are up for it, you can be my audience to try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love that! Feel free to e-mail me if you're planning to stream and I'll stop by.. We could even set something up so I can get the word out and get some eyes on the stream.

-K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa,

That is too bad that scanPad did not work out.  They were trying really hard.  However, I think one could replicate a similar set up.  I have worked in advertising and production.....  If you create a safe way to hold a camera (attached to your computer) or phone then the look would be similar.

Think of a mini tripod or even a guerrilla pod attached to a bar that would hang over your work space.  That might even be better....  because then you could adjust it.

If I had a big budget I would set up a big camera on a c-stand and go from there.... but I think looking into a setting up something using a guerrilla pod could be ideal and affordable.  Keep me updated on how you go about it.... would enjoy hearing what you decide and how you set up your stream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i was doing exactly that, hanging a guerilla pod from my light above my desk. It's a little heavy and pulls the light down, but I managed. I had my Surface next to me, my Mac is across the room, so I couldn't use it. I would love to collaborate with you... I'm an Adobe Certified Instructor. We have similar tastes in art, too. i love drawing Star Wars characters!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa, I think guerrilla pods are great.  In fact, that is something I would probably do if I want to start streaming.  I do have a friend from UbiSoft who built a whole studio to stream gaming.  He even bought a studio quality microphone and green screen.  I was really surprised he invested so much in streaming game play.  But supposedly one can make money simply playing games on Twitch.... funny, never thought that would be possible.

Collaborating would be fun... I am always looking to do new projects.  And working with other artists can be fun.  Can you email me a link your portfolio?  - Send me an email via the email address listed on my website. Not sure I should broadcast my email address in the forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will send you an email. My art is spread out all over the place. The only consistent way to view it is on instagram - purplepencilart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I have thought about doing on my own....  Several of my gaming friends use Twitch to stream their gaming escapades and I thought since I have been using Adobe Products since 1994.... it might be fun to stream some the process of my creativity.

Portfolio (note I am creating a new portfolio on Adobe Portfolio so this will change).

http://kennshinabery.prosite.com/

But I am curious.... if I should apply to do it through Adobe or do it on my own.  I think many artists are streaming their creative process now and asking for donations at the end of their tutorials.  But I am guessing Adobe would not like you to do this.  Some artists using Youtube ask to donate via their Patreon site.  Would Adobe allow people to mention that they have Patreon or that they accept donations.  The whole process of Twitch streaming seems interesting to me.... my gamer friends actually get donations and promos tools given to them to utilize in their feeds.....  thus, I would really like to hear thoughts on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth! Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses.

I recommend streaming on your personal channel first to get some stream experience under your belt. This is also how the Adobe Channel team would like to get to know you and your artistic process. What's your Twitch link? I'd love to forward it on to the team and to check it out myself

As for donations and patreon, I can't give an explicit answer.. but I do know the Adobe Channel is all about artist promotion. If streaming on Adobe, artists are welcome to invite viewers to follow their personal channels and check out endeavors such as Patreon. We want to steer clear of asking for donations or any compensation as Adobe.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took me to awhile to get back to you.  I am still contemplating creating my own stream.

My background is in advertising, marketing, PR and social media.  Thus, before I start doing I want to make sure that I have a concrete plan.  I have seen some people streaming their art and it looked really bad  I do not want to be one of those people.  I already have friends who utilize Twitch that work at Ubisoft, so I have been researching the best way to go about it.  Also because of my connections from writing with Advanced Photoshop, I could even do a collaborative stream with some other well known artists and design studios.

Second thing I would have to consider before moving forward is a camera.  The camera on my Wacom Cintiq Companion would place my video of me talking in a awkward angle.  So I have to consider buying a camera.  Or if I can get away with streaming without having live video of myself.  Since I have also experience working in film/tv/commercials/print production as well...  I think having a camera running would make the presentations more personable.  However, like I said I would want to set up a camera correctly.  There are too many streams out there that look really bad.... I would prefer being in the higher class type of stream if I were to move forward.

Have you seen my work yet?  http://kennshinabery.prosite.com/

Please note I am working on my Adobe Portfolio Site..... and hope to launch that sooner rather than later.

But take a look at my work.... Right now I am getting a lot of attention.  I have over 2.9K followers on my Shocase.com site and over 2000 followers reading my articles on LinkedIn Pulse.  So I do have an audience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kathleen,

I'm excited to have found this post. A fellow Twitch user told me Adobe was searching for individuals to broadcast from their channel. I myself have been streaming on Twitch for over a year (twitch.tv/LeTigress) and enjoy content creation. I studied Broadcasting: TV/Film Production in my undergraduate studies (currently getting my master's in Communication) and took a class dedicated specifically to Adobe software. I'm currently traveling from Florida to home in Illinois, so I won't be able to get my work examples to you until I've arrived in my apartment Friday, but I'll be sure to do so as soon as possible to see what you think!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Gabriella "LeTigress" Devia-Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabriella!

Awesome to hear from you. Yes, I see you're really active in the Twitch community - that is GREAT! Feel free to send over work samples at your soonest convenience and feel free to e-mail me at kirker@adobe.com if you're going to start a creative stream, I'll try to stop by!

Cheers

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested. I have a background in Flash as well as in Web Design. I am also skilled in all the Adobe Products.

Thanks.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris! Nice to meetcha. That is awesome.. the best way to get involved is to dive right in... Maybe try out a few test streams and feel free to get involved in the creative community. (SamPetersonArt is streaming right now and he's great! Twitch/tv/adobe )

Please let me know if you have any set-up or logistical questions and shoot me an e-mail if you're planning on streaming so I can come say hello!

Cheers

-Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines