Exit

Screen tip for link from image is broken

Enthusiast ,
Apr 08, 2008 Apr 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a commonly used procedure to make an image a hyperlink:

1. Insert an image.
2. Do not supply Screen tip text in the image dialog.
3. Insert a hyperlink into the image -- to display a popup, or to jump to another topic.
4. Enter Screen tip text for the link, such as, "Click to see more."
5. Generate WebHelp, with the option checked for W3C Compliant topics.
6. Generate WebHelp to another folder, with the option not checked.

Symptoms:

In W3C Compliant topics, in IE 6 and in IE 7
1. The Screen Tip text does not appear.
2. The link works.

In non-compliant topcs, both work.

In Firefox 2.0.0.13 (released yesterday), the screen tip and link both work, in both Compliant and non-Compliant topics.

Looking at the "compliant" code, RH has added alt="" near the end because I didn't supply Screen tip text for the image. When I remove this little bit, IE shows the "Click for details" tip for the hyperlink.

By the way, I'm running RH 7.01.001 on Win XP, IE 6 and IE 7 on different PCs, and Firefox 2.0.0.13.

Harvey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Harvey -
(You messin' with us? I didn't see this post not more than a few minutes ago...so I replied to what I thought was an "edited" post. Anyway...)

I tested your procedure in RHX5 and IE6, Firefox and Opera. I learned a VERY IMPORTANT LESSON about RH, IE, Firefox, Opera and image/hyperlink screen tips.

I learned that IE6 "screen tip on hover" reads the RH "Image screen tip" entry but FF and Opera read the RH "Hyperlink screen tip" entry.

THUS: to make IE and FF/Opera screen tips "appear" the same, one must enter the SAME screen tip into BOTH the Image Screen Tip text box and the Hyperlink Screen Tip text box!

(Now, how long will it take me to check 3,000 images and hyperlinks in my current project?)

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

In another message you said you have RH X5, but not 6 or 7.

Still true? I think the output is different in 6 and 7.

Thanks for testing.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Harvey -

I only have X5 at the office but I do have RH7 at my home office.

I'll take my little experiment home and import it into RH7 and see what happens.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported my test project into RH7 and the generated results were the same as RHX5.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 09, 2008 Apr 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

Did you confirm that IE does not display the tip text for a link from an image in RH 7-generated WebHelp? (Links from image maps are different.)

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2008 Apr 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello Harvey -

Yes and no - it depended on where I created the screen tip, just like what I did in RHX5.

That is:

> IE6 "screen tip on hover" reads the RH "Image screen tip" entry
> FF and Opera "screen tip on hover" reads the RH "Hyperlink screen tip" entry

If I create the screen tip when inserting the hyperlink, IE does NOT show the tip but FF and Opera do show it.

If I create the screen tip when inserting the image, IE shows that screen tip but FF and Opera do not show it.

Did you try the generated test project I sent?

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp