Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

So how do I decrypt a PDF?

Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already know the password, but I want to decrypt it so I can view it on mobile devices. The password only works if the file is in the same folder as a certain PFX file. But in any OS other than Windows, this is completely meaningless, and thus I can not view the file even though I know the password. How can I decrypt such a file?

Forgive me if this is the most ignorant question ever.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

This is a form of Digital Rights Management (DRM). They have clearly done this to stop files from being shared, and if anyone could decrypt the file then the file could be shared. So you can't. DRM is (some googling will show) a HUGELY controversial thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat Pro?

Whether you have Acrobat Pro or Reader, please open the file and use File > Properties. Under the security tab, what does it say for "Security method"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the document use certificate security?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah it uses certificate security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Acrobat Reader for mobile devices doesn't support this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd, I think that's why the original poster wants to decrypt it, so the unprotected file can be read on a mobile device.

But, I may be wrong, I think you would need the original certificate used to make the file to do that. I think one design aim of certificate security is that you cannot take it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what are my options? I'm out of luck?

If I am unable to decrypt it, are there any other PDF-reading softwares which support decryption on mobile devices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Out of luck by design I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole issue is so stupid. I downloaded these PDFs from a website which clearly is trying to disseminate them and has clear instructions for how to open the files. I don't know why they bothered with this encryption business to begin with. Presumably only to make me suffer.

In any case, thanks to everyone for the responses. I appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a form of Digital Rights Management (DRM). They have clearly done this to stop files from being shared, and if anyone could decrypt the file then the file could be shared. So you can't. DRM is (some googling will show) a HUGELY controversial thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When printing is allowed you can print and scan the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also print it to Adobe Printer (comes with the Acrobat Pro) and get flattened PDF this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

‌The printer "Adobe PDF" doesn't allow this for protected documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines