• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 Silent Install

Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear support,

I try to deploy ADE 4.5 silently with the following command but a window popup comes up and ask me if I want to include Norton Security: ADE_4.5_Installer.exe /s

I red on this post a solution that seems not working anymore:

Re: Adobe Digital Editions 4.0.3 mass install...

It says to add some reg keys before running the install silently.

In my case, I still get the popup window so I can't use this method to mass deploy this update.

Do you have another switch command or reg keys to avoid this behaviour please?

Thank you in advance,

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Excerpt from this page:

IT Pro Tips for Adobe Digital Editions 4 | ITNinja

Disable Norton Security prompt

The installer searches for certain antivirus products, and if a qualifying product is not found it prompts to install Norton Security. To suppress this prompt, add the following registry key before the installer is executed:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00  
; 32-bit OS [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\N360] 

; 64-bit OS [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WO

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josué,

I Added NSS=2 to the commandline

"ADE_4.5_Installer.exe /s NSS=2"  and it will install without Norton Security Scan

Thanks to IT Pro Tips for Adobe Digital Editions 4 | ITNinja for giving me the registry hint.

Kind regards,

Ivo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi IvoD,

Thank you for your solution. Unfortunately, on my side, I still get the Norton window popup even with the NSS=2 parameter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will only work if you have previously declined the installation of Norton or set the registry key values from that link you posted.  You can try this yourself, install ADE and decline Norton, remove ADE and then re-install and you won't get prompted to install Norton.  If you check the registry you can see that the registry key to decline Norton has been set by the first installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for your post.

I added this before the setup and it works on my test machine where I installed/uninstalled the product for testing:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Symantec\NPInstaller\DeclineCount\adobeebook" /v nss /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

But When I tried on my Golder Master Image it stopped with the Norton window popup...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, if your master image is 32-bit, then you might need to use the 32-bit version of that registry key instead:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\NPInstaller\DeclineCount\adobeebook

Ie. without the Wow6432Node part. That could be why it worked on your test machine, but not on your master image. Though I have only tried on 64-bit Windows so far so I haven't tested on 32-bit OS.

Edit: After testing a bit more, it turns out the installer also randomly uses different values for nss and nis, and no combination I've tried yet will work on our unattended software deployment without popping up the Norton Internet Security dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using Windows 64 Bit OS only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found /s NSS=0 actually works.

ade.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me /s NSS=0 not work and no other solution work.

I need a solution please because I have about 80 computer.

Wath program do you use to deploy Adobe Digital Solution using /s NSS=0 switch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up writing a script to set that reg key and then installing the app with just /s (nss= doesn't seem to do anything), and that worked. I'm managing about 6200 clients?

I'm using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (on 2012 R2 SP1 CU1 with a bunch of hotfixes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope adobe will solve this problem as soon as possible.

Please give us a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want I can share my powershell script I wrote to handle all its problems/shortcomings? Let me know - I'll do it when I get into work tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share your powershell script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go:

Package Exports

I do assume its 64 bit windows. If you have 32 bit machines - its using the powershell app deployment framework. I guess you can let me know and I can help, or you can download and read the variable reference here:

Releases · PSAppDeployToolkit/PSAppDeployToolkit · GitHub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I've found.  If I try to install interactively with an admin account, I can use this before running the installer:

reg.exe add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\NPInstaller\DeclineCount\adobeebook" /v "nss" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f /reg:32

However, once it comes time to deploy it to hundreds of systems, obviously it is going to be through a management system like SCCM or KACE.  In my case, I then tried it with KACE and found it was still coming up with the Norton scanner dialog.  I found that when running it that way, the installer instead sets a value of NIS to 1, instead of NSS to 2.  So, fine, I added another reg.exe add line to also add NIS=1.  However, it still wouldn't work.  I then put timeout.exe /t 30 in between setting the registry and executing the installer to make sure the registry values were being set.  On the test system, I had the regedit open and I kept refreshing until I indeed saw those two values set... however, the Norton dialog still came up.  I switched over to regedit and found that those values were DELETED once the installer ran thus why the Norton dialog was still coming up.

So, for those who say they have it working in SCCM and/or KACE, I really don't believe you at this point, as I don't know why it would be deleting those registry values just on my test system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excerpt from this page:

IT Pro Tips for Adobe Digital Editions 4 | ITNinja

Disable Norton Security prompt

The installer searches for certain antivirus products, and if a qualifying product is not found it prompts to install Norton Security. To suppress this prompt, add the following registry key before the installer is executed:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00  
; 32-bit OS [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\N360] 

; 64-bit OS [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\N360]

Note: The nis and nss registry values mentioned in other tips are not required.

Works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rem prevent norton prompt, happens after three no clicks
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Symantec\NPInstaller\DeclineCount\adobeebook /f /v ns  /t reg_dword /d 1
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Symantec\NPInstaller\DeclineCount\adobeebook /f /v nss /t reg_dword /d 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Enable Adobe Flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is to just add -PassThru (if you are using Powershell script)

Eg:

Execute-Process -Path "$dirFiles\ADE_4.5_Installer.exe" -Parameters '/S' -WindowStyle 'Hidden' -PassThru

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set-RegistryKey -Key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\N360' -Name 'N360' -Value ''-Type String -ContinueOnError:$True

Execute-Process -Path "$dirFiles\ADE_4.5_Installer.exe" -Parameters '/S' -WindowStyle 'Hidden' -PassThru

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only method I have found to deploy using MEMCM/SCCM is to repackage this installer using an MSI package builder. I use a product called EMCO but I'm sure other repackagers would work as well. I simply monitor the install, run through the install process and decline Norton. Then, package the delta into an MSI and deploy as you would any MSI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines