• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I install Flash Player via the command line using sudo installer without being prompted for the "Update Flash Player Preferences" dialog box? Is there a truly Silent option, no prompts?

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the administration guide, I run the following commands on a remote host to install flash player. However the command stalls waiting for the "Update Flash Player Preferences" dialog box to be answered. I would like to run this command on a remote host and have it do the install without any prompting. Are the any other arguments to the "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager" other than "-install", something that is truly silent?

Silent installation of Flash Player (using .app installer bundle)

Do the following to silently install Flash Player 11.3 or later on Mac:

1 Extract the Adobe Flash Player installer bundle (Install Adobe Flash Player.app) from the .DMG file.

2 Open a terminal window and change to the directory where the .app file is saved.

For example, if the .app file is saved on the Desktop of the current user, type:

cd ~/Desktop

3 Run the installer contained in the .app file using the following command:

sudo ./Install Adobe Flash Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Flash Player Install Manager -

install

4 Type the password to proceed with the installation.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Hi,

You're experiencing this behaviour because you're using the online installer, which downloads and install Flash Player silently in the background, but also asks the user to provide the update option.  The online installer is not meant for enterprise distribution.  To distribute Flash Player within your organization, you'll need to license Flash Player (usually free) for distribution.  To apply for a license, go to Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe and complete and submit the form.  Afte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you able to reproduce the behaviour if you attempt to silently install on the local host?

I'd like to get some information from you to investigate further.  Please provide the following:

• What OS X version of the local host and remote host
  • Flash Player version you are trying to install
  • How are you connecting to the remote host to run the command
  • Is there an active session on the remote host (e.g. is someone logged in)
    • Is the system turned on, at the login screen? Turned off?

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

Both the Local and Remote host is on El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50).

I am trying to install the latest Flash Player version 20.0.0.267

I am connecting via SSH, running hdiutil to unpack the DMG and then running the below command.

sudo /Volumes/Adobe\ Flash\ Player\ Installer/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player -install

I have tried with or without an active session and receive the same results. If I VNC to the remote host and then execute the command via terminal, the "Update Preferences Dialog Box" appears on the screen. If I click through it and answer the questions the command completes as desired. The problem is I do not want to have to do that, because I need to be able to push the updates out to over 50 clients.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

You're experiencing this behaviour because you're using the online installer, which downloads and install Flash Player silently in the background, but also asks the user to provide the update option.  The online installer is not meant for enterprise distribution.  To distribute Flash Player within your organization, you'll need to license Flash Player (usually free) for distribution.  To apply for a license, go to Adobe Flash Player Distribution | Adobe and complete and submit the form.  After applying you'll receive an email with a link to download the installers for enterprise distribution.  This includes both .app and .pkg installers that you can use.  Neither of these prompts for update options during silent installation.  

I apologize for not noticing this previously, however, I assumed you weren't using the online installer since you were distributing Flash Player within your organization.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines