• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I get the message "Application Initialization Error" when I try to install Flash Player?

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do I get the message "Application Initialization Error" when I try to install Flash Player?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please provide the following information:

• operating system, including version
  • browser, including version
  • name of the file you are using to install Flash Player

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, 2010

Browser is latest Internet Explorer (8 0r 9, I believe)

I tried using the link from Lumosity, as well as the link from Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for providing the information.  I'll need to get some log files from you to troubleshoot the 'application initialization error'.  Please review the FAQ Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on Windows? and provide all files listed: FlashInstall.log, Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log, so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

As an alternative, you can try using the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page in the 'Still having problems' section, however, without the installation log files we can't troubleshoot why the initialization error is occurring.  There have been numerous posts on this, but no one has yet supplied log files, which hinders our ability to investigate and fix the issue.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that this is related to the three days that Adobe just spent in response to case 0187400913. If you can get to Adobe support and get the case records you will find the material you need, since the three techs that worked on this got into my computer to finally fix the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe does not provide phone support for Flash Player.  The only support for Flash Player is these forums.  I don't know who you spoke to, or accessed your computer.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The case number was 0187400913, and I can get you the three tech names

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't work on Acrobat and don't know the phone support provided for Acrobat.  There are completely different people working on Acrobat and Flash Player.

It would be quicker to provide the Flash Player install log files as previously requested.

As an alternative, you can try using the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page in the 'Still having problems' section, however, without the installation log files we can't troubleshoot why the initialization error is occurring.  There have been numerous posts on this, but no one has yet supplied log files, which hinders our ability to investigate and fix the issue.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right -- then lead me through to steps to find and transmit what you need. I am sorry for being frustrated but Adobe has cost me three days of production so far, and I need to get this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right -- then lead me through to steps to find and transmit what you need. I am sorry for being frustrated but Adobe has cost me three days of production so far, and I need to get this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, and I apologize for the trouble you've had the past several days with Adobe products.

• Launch Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
  • obtain the two log files, Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files
  • Still in Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\ and obtain the FlashInstall.log file
    • If this is a 64-bit OS also navigate to C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash and obtain the FlashInstall.log file in this directory.
  • After gathering all files, upload them to cloud.acrobat.com using the instructions at How to share a document or a file sharing service of your choice (that does not require log in to access) and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will probably take me a while, since I am no techie. I assume you will be the addressee, or be able to retrieve the material? How do I make sure they get to you, and are destroyed once you have finished with them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.

I'll post back here whether or not I was able to retrieve the files, and if so, you can delete them from whichever service you uploaded them to.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all the files collected and ready to go. However, using the instructions, I cannot get them into the cloud. Is there another way of sending the,?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt you can retrieve them, since they did not get to your cloud. The written instructions didn't pick up the files and put them into the cloud, or at least I could find no confirmation of that. Further, the instructions for uploading apparently did nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I apologize.  It appears the process described in the FAQ has changed since that FAQ was published.  Hopefully the following will work.

1. Go to https://cloud.acrobat.com/send
  2. Once logged in, the page should look like this:
    Capture.JPG
  3. Click on the Add Files button
    add_files.JPG
  4. On the next screen, click the Choose Files from My Computer button, or drag the files onto the page:
    select_files.jpg
  5. When finished adding the files, click Continue
    continue.JPG
  6. On the next page, click the Create Link button
    create_link.jpg
  7. The file will be uploaded and a Share Link window will display.
    Capture2.JPG
  8. Copy the https://files.acrobat.com/... link and paste it into the reply.

Hopefully this will work.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/517ee6a4-b21a-4a22-8648-894538f18c22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic.  You were able to upload the files when I was posting.  I have downloaded the files you posted and see an error.

Do you use a proxy server, or have anti-virus software installed?

The online installer downloads Flash Player silently in the background and installs it silently.  This download is failing, although, I'm not sure why. I'm forwarding the error log to the team that handles the online installer.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bear in mind that I have had Flash Player installed and working on 2010 with absolutely NO issues for quite a few years. It was only this week, when Adobe needed to fix an Acrobat problem (case 0187400913) that Flash Player disappeared from my computer, and I could not reload it.

I do use Norton, and there MAY be remnants of prior anti-malware and anti-virus programs still on the computer (which until now had not affected the operation of Flash Player, as far as I could tell) Likewise, I have Opera as a second browser, and I use aol, usually through Explorer, as my e-mail.

The "fail" indication I get from adobe is: "Application initialization error", whatever THAT may mean.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's possible Norton is the culprit.  You can try disabling Norton and try again.  If the online installer works, Norton is the culprit.  If it doesn't, then we can continue to troubleshoot.

The offline installer, I linked to previously (Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier) will work for you as it is the complete installer file.  Unlike the online installer, it doesn't download anything in the background.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Norton has been on my computer for a couple of years, with no impact on any Adobe product. Therefore, it seems totally illogical for it to be the culprit, since the difficulty with Flash Player only began a couple of days ago. I expect Adobe to solve its own problems -- which have now caused me to lose over a week of availability. I am going to request that, as a minimum, my monthly fees for January should be refunded.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I apologize for the troubles you've had. Anti-virus software has been known to block installations, and falsely mark valid software as malware/virus, etc, therefore the reason for my question.

Regarding "I am going to request that, as a minimum, my monthly fees for January should be refunded."  I'm not sure what you are referring to as Flash Player is a free product.

Thanks again for your assistance in providing the Flash Player installer files, which did help identify the reason for the 'initialization error' you were receiving.  In the future, if you get this error, simply use the offline/standalone installer at the bottom of the page I linked to previously.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize Flash Player is free, but the deletion of Flash Player from my computer led to the problem of not being able to reinstall I again; and that deletion was done by one of the techs who eventually got my subscription program working.. The term is "consequential damages". Now, if you still insist that I disable my anti-virus software, thus exposing me to all sorts of potential damages, I'd like some assurance that there is no risk to my following your request, and that any damages incurred as a result of my computer being unprotected are borne by Adobe. I think that is only reasonable.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is always a risk of something happening when disabling anti-virus software, however, at times anti-virus software does interfere with software installation.  You've already been very helpful in providing the log files and I completely understand your concern in not wanting to disable the anti-virus software, as such, will not ask you to do so since you are not comfortable doing so.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines