• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What kind of Help do you generate?

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are all technical writers here, in one aspect or another. ;-)

I was wondering what version of Help documentation do you distribute within your company and/or to your clients. By "version", I mean Webhelp, Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM), FlashHelp, Printed Documentation (.doc or PDF), other? What version do you find the most conducive to your business? Do you use more than one version? Are you using one format, but really want to use a different format?

I currently use Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM output). I am happy with it, but I may make the jump to WebHelp in the future. I am still weighing the pros and cons.

--Jessica

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica.
The decision on which output type you produce should be based more on where the help will reside (PC, server or website), how you will deliver it and the functionality you want to use in it. If you are using CHMs and it works for you, why change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Hi Jessica.
The decision on which output type you produce should be based more on where the help will reside (PC, server or website), how you will deliver it and the functionality you want to use in it. If you are using CHMs and it works for you, why change.

Oh, of course! I was just curious as to what formats other people used, if they preferred one version over another, that kind of thing. 🙂

--Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jessica,

A recent WritersUA survey provides quite an interesting insight into the tools and technologies most valued by the respondents (just over 600, apparently).

http://www.winwriters.com/surveys/skillstech07/skillstech_techs.htm

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica,

We distribute primarily in CHM format because we're authoring for a desktop software package. However we do use WebHelp Pro format on an intranet for insiders in our company to preview documentation topics. Overall, I like the CHM format. Everything is in one nice little package for distribution and I think it works well for our customers. We also distribute in a printed format, but I find that I have to do a lot of post processing of printed export to get it to look how I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jared,

I just read your message on how time consuming it is to format a print document. I find it very frustrating that we have to re-format in Word every time we have to revise our help manual to print. Have you found any ways to save a certain format to make it easier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jessica -

Current project / client / work environment dictates WebHelp.

> Flash is not allowed
> AIR will not be allowed
> Project is Web-based

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and of course with the arrival of Adobe Air you have the advantages of a CHM applied to WebHelp output plus some!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Megan. Welcome to the forum.

Jared referred to processing rather than formatting and I too have to do that, as do most people. Text will not break neatly where you want it to is the main thing.

If you tell us what format issues you have, maybe we can offer some help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I formatted everything the way I liked, I made a copy of the PrintDoc, stripped all of the content after the TOC, and saved it as a "working_copy.doc."

Whenever I generate a new version of the PrintDoc, I copy all content after the TOC and Paste it into my "working_copy.doc," then save it with a relevant filename. Fully update the TOC after dealing with awkward page breaks, and I'm good to go!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2008 Apr 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I use Webhelp for our external application and .chm for internal projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp