Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to link to a external document that contains bookmarks

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I put my question in the wrong forum

I'm working in Robohelp 8 and I have an existing Robohelp that I'm modifying.

I have been provided a WORD document that's approximately 72 pages which has a table of contents that has bookmarks.

I tried to setup a link to each topic that were bookmarked but it does not seem to work.   The previous link that I had setup in my Robohelp project, seems to take on the next link for a different topic that I had selected from the WORD document.

Can this be done?

Please advise.

thanks

Sharon.

Sharon Restoule
Senior Systems Analyst/Programmer
Ministry of Solicitor General and Correctional Services

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Something tells me you may be new to RoboHelp. Would that be a fair and accurate statement?

Note that RoboHelp version 8 is pretty long in the tooth. It's five versions behind the currently shipping version. But depending on what you are creating, it may still work just fine.

Many things are possible but we need more information. For example, what exactly have you done with the Word document you have been given? Did you import or link it in RoboHelp?

You said you "tried to setup a link to each topic that were bookmarked but it does not seem to work.". How exactly did you try to create these links?

What kind of output are you going to be producing? Microsoft HTML Help (CHM) file? WebHelp?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document that I’m attempting to link to for each Robohelpt Topic will be residing on our Ministry INTRANET website server.  The document was created in WORD and saved in PDF format.  This document contains approximately 72 pages and within this document are Topics which are bookmarked.    There is a Table of Contents for each of the Topics that I need to link to.

I’m not importing the whole document into my Robohelp project, I’m want to add hyperlinks from that document into my Robohelp project.  I’ve tried but it appears not to be working.  When I have added a hyperlink to a previous Topic and then move onto the another to add a hyperlink, the previous Topic takes on the hyperlink of the next Topic.

I’ve used Robohelp to create our HELP for our MINISTRY application.  I don’t use Robohelp everyday so my skills are pretty basic.  I started using Robohelp from version 5 to create the initial HELP for our Ministry application.  The Ministry application is upgraded every 10 years so I don’t do much changes to it.

I know how to import documents, images, add URLs, modify the HTML code within each Topic, I know enough but I’m stumped with this document.  Is this possible with Robohelp 8?  Or is there a newer version that will allow for this to work?

Please advise.

Your help is much appreciated.

thanks

Sharon Restoule

Justice Technology Services

Sharon Restoule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, so you want links from a RoboHelp HTML page that point to Bookmarked locations in an external PDF document.

Assuming I'm understanding that correctly, see if the link below offers any help.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info.

I’ve reviewed the comments and they mentioned the following steps:  Should this be done by the person who created the PDF document, or do I use the following steps while I’m in my Robohelp project?

To create destinations within a PDF with Acrobat:

1.    Manually navigate through the PDF for the desired location

2.    Go to View > Navigation Tabs > Destinations

3.    Under Options, choose Scan Document

4.    Once this is completed, select New Destination from the Options menu and enter an appropriate name

I’m not importing or saving any information from the PDF document into Robohelp. I’m adding URLs to my Topics to point to the PDF document that is on the Ministry INTRANET website.

I cannot make any changes to this PDF document because it will be resides on a server which I do not have any privileges on.

Please advise.

Thanks much appreciated

Sharon Restoule

Sharon Restoule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe those steps have to be done outside of RoboHelp while manipulating the PDF document. You may well be out of luck if you cannot make edits to the PDF.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks anyways.  I thought I would ask the experts first.

Have a wonderful day.

Sharon Restoule

Sharon Restoule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I've been around the forums for more years than I care to admit. In all those years one common theme is that linking to PDFs at bookmarks has been sort of a "holy grail" and is always fraught with pitfalls, regret, and disappointment.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had created the existing Robohelp by importing WORD documents saved in HTM format then imported to Robohelp.  There are two Ministry applications that uses the Robohelp which has approximately 250 topics each.

Both applications have screen specific help and a General Help.  The General Help contains of all the topics plus URLS to other Ministry documents.

Now we are upgrading both of those applications and the group that’s responsible for the HELP.  There are more PDF documents besides this 72 page PDF document.

I tried to explain to this group that they will not be getting the screen specific help that we have now.  I feel we are going backwards instead of forwards.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

Sharon Restoule

Sharon Restoule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder if this page that I found will help?

http://tinyurl.com/cbjblz

Note that it does require readers to have a specific plug-in but as the PDF is on an intranet I'm thinking that maybe that is something you could get installed by IT.

I'll be interested to learn if it works for you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp