• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 Dynamic Content Filter Problem

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I implemented the new Dynamic Content Filter feature in a set of merged help projects. The output is Responsive HTML5.

Our scenario is when SuperUser logs into the UI and launches the help, they get all the help content, but when any other user logs in, they will see all the content except what I've tagged as SuperUser_Only.

I initially tested the output and filtering by displaying the filter icon and verified the filtering behaved how I expected. I was disappointed the "Select by default" option didn't work how I expected, but that wasn't a deal breaker.

Since we want to deploy the filter with URLs and not show users the filter option, I figured out the URLs (thank you William van Weelden) and did basic testing with those. By basic testing I mean I copy/pasted one URL in the browser and pressed ENTER, viewed the results, then copy/pasted the other URL in the browser and pressed ENTER, and viewed the results. This worked a couple of times and I deemed the feature to be working and told our development team it would work.

However, after a couple more copy/pastes the content didn't change, but if I pressed F5 to refresh, it would then display the correct content. Then sometimes I had to close the browser completely and reopen and then paste again, and it would display the correct content. But now the filtering has stopped working at all. I have complete control of the server and have not made any changes there. I've tried both Chrome and IE and cleared the browser cache and nothing makes the filtering work now.

Here are the two URLs I tested with, with Xs for the server IP address. We have context sensitive help and these are for a screen whose topic is named FOOD.htm.

http://xxx.xx.xx.xxx:8080/helpRH/help/en/mergedProjects/Planning/FOOD.htm?filter=EndUser:NOT_SuperUs...

http://xxx.xx.xx.xxx:8080/helpRH/help/en/mergedProjects/Planning/FOOD.htm?filter=SuperUser:SuperUser...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the dynamic content filter work consistently?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

frizzopc wrote:

So... I think I am learning! Maybe I constructed the groups and filters incorrectly. Should I create one group named Role, with two filter options: superuser and not_superuser?

Exactly. If you select on item from a group, it will only un-select other items from the same group. The multi/single selection choice is given for a single group.

Hope that clears the issue with "Select by default" as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some further testing with my projects--added the filter icon back in the output. Using the icon, filtering worked a few times, then was sluggish, then had to refresh and filter again, and now doesn't filter at all. So I think I determined that the issue is not with the URL method of calling the filtered content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you check if there are any errors in your developer console in chrome ? You can open the console by Pressing F12 on the page and choosing the console tab in the popped window.

Also you can send us the logs that your help generates when you try filtering via URL. The logs get generated in the console when you add rh_debug argument in the URL.

E.g. in your case you can do http://xxx.xx.xx.xxx:8080/helpRH/help/en/mergedProjects/Planning/FOOD.htm?filter=EndUser:NOT_SuperUs...

Right click on the log and Click the save as menu item and save it as file. Share the log file to ritkumar@adobe.com.

ScreenShotDynamic.png

Added the screenshot for your convenience.

Please also share which Robohelp 2015 Version(Main release or patch) you are using.

Thanks !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I installed the service pack 2 and upgraded my help projects and regenerated the output. So the output I am working with was generated from RoboHelp 2015 SP2.

This morning looking at the output in Chrome and I see the issue. When I launch the help, no filter is applied and all content is showing (1). I select the enduser filter "not_superuser" and it shows the filtered content which removes the triangle and CRUD text (2). I select the superuser filter "superuser" and it shows the filtered content (which is actually unfiltered) so the triangle and CRUD text display again (3). The issue I see is that selecting a different filter does not unselect the previous. So matter which filter I select, both remain selected until I click the clear filter icon.

(1) no filter applied

1.png

(2) not_superuser filter applied

2.png

(3) both filters applied

3.png

I did not expect both filters to be applied, I expected that selecting a filter was unselected the other one. The only way to return to showing the content filtered for not_superuser is to clear the filter and then select not_superuser again. I assume the same thing is happening via URL, but with no method of clearing the filter.

So... I think I am learning! Maybe I constructed the groups and filters incorrectly. Should I create one group named Role, with two filter options: superuser and not_superuser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frizzopc wrote:

Exactly. If you select on item from a group, it will only un-select other items from the same group. The multi/single selection choice is given for a single group.

Hope that clears the issue with "Select by default" as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So one issue remains, using IE, it is impossible to see which filter is selected. (I am using IE 11). Here are my newly set up filters in the two browsers.

Chrome:

chrome filter display.png

IE 11:

IE filter display.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp