• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing McaFee Security scan plus

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You snuck in McAfee security scan plus in with flash player update. How do I get rid of it, it doe not want to uninstall! I wanted the flash player update because I got tired of being hassled about it, I did not want this other JUNK! Keep your products separate from others.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Uninstall a program.

Bookmark these links:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

They are FULL installers and contain no bundled apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've followed your advice Mke, and there is no "Uninstall" option in that folder.  It's also not listed in the "uninstall software" thing in my control panel.

evil adobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Visually:

Start>Control Panel

1.jpg

Programs and Features>Uninstall a Program

2.jpg

Uninstall McAfe Security Scan from the list and Close the Control Panel.

3.jpg

Registry Editor (Press the Windows key + R and type "regedit" then click OK)

4.jpg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software

5.jpg

Delete the McAfee folder by right clicking and choosing delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

6.jpg

Delete the McAfee folder by right clicking and choosing delete.

THAT will completely remove McAfee Security Scan from your system. You should reboot after ANY registry changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2015 Jan 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed these directions.  First off, McAfee won't uninstall from the control panel add/remove programs when I right click uninstall in Windows 7.  I get an hourglass and then it returns and McAfee is still present.  I deleted the above registry entries plus an additional two registry entries "McAfee" in the same location. Rebooted and McAfee is still installed.  I believe the definition of malware should include any program that does not properly uninstall using the Windows interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like their uninstaller is crashing.

I would take a minute to make sure that your hard disk is free of errors:

Check your hard disk for errors

Then, try following the uninstallation procedure above from safe mode:

Start your computer in safe mode - Windows Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeromiec83223024 wrote:

It sounds like their uninstaller is crashing.

It is.  This is what I get when I try to uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus via the Control Panel:

McAfee.jpg

McAfee recommends using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool for this specific problem, but that seems to remove every McAfee product except Security Scan Plus.

Mike M recommends removing the McAfee folders in the registry, but a search for "McAfee" finds other folders belonging to Security Scan Plus.  Who knows if there are more?

Adobe has been ignoring us for years about installing unwanted third-party software on our machines.

Once upon a time, a tech picked up my laptop right from underneath my fingers and shook it [!] to demonstrate some point he was on about.  He didn't know the USB port was faulty and walked away oblivious to the fact that he'd just lost my work.  Like this tech, Adobe should know better than to fool around with someone's equipment because that's when it will break. If Adobe thinks they're entitled to trespass on our computers to install unwanted third-party software, then they should own the liability for that software's problems and reimburse us for the hours it takes to remove it.

I paid hundreds of dollars for CS4 Premiere and Photoshop years ago.  I stopped buying Adobe software because they did this to me before.  They are unethical in my opinion; makes me wonder if forcing McAfee on us is how they addressed Flash Player's security vulnerabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines