• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is Specular in Cinema 4D??

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running AE CC2015 13.6.1.6 and when I go into Cinema 4D (16.038 build RB121092), I don't see the SPECULAR option in the MATERIALS EDITOR. Using the book "After Effects and Cimema 4D" by Jackson and other places, they show a SPECULAR option in the editor but I don't see this. Is the current verison I using not have this anymore? Was it moved to RELFECTANCE? If so, how is it different? I am new to Cinema 4D and I am trying to learn how to use it but it doesn't help when my study materials are different from the actual program. Thanks.

JC

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

It was moved to Reflectance. It's pretty different. The reflectance channel was a big change in C4D R16. It's way more powerful, but also way more confusing. Older versions of AE (and thus older books) are talking about C4D version R15 or earlier. You may want to look up some tutorials on using the reflectance channel, but the default specular that it adds in the reflectance channel is pretty similar to the old specular.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was moved to Reflectance. It's pretty different. The reflectance channel was a big change in C4D R16. It's way more powerful, but also way more confusing. Older versions of AE (and thus older books) are talking about C4D version R15 or earlier. You may want to look up some tutorials on using the reflectance channel, but the default specular that it adds in the reflectance channel is pretty similar to the old specular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answers. I did a Google search and found some good info. I just wish that the book I was reading, published only last year, was more up to date as I think the specular feature is very neat.

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The features are still there, it's just a tiny touch different and in a different area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With C4D R16 they changed how specular worked - it is now combined with reflection in the "reflectance" channel

do some google searches for "Cinema4D Reflectance channel" to learn how to use it, it is more complex and less intuituve than the old system, but offers more power

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wouldn't happen to know a David & Mindy Hoium, would you?  Recently moved from the Eau Claire area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I don't know them. In fact the only other Hoiums I know are my dad and two brothers. Hoium is a Norwegian name and you'd think by living in Minnesota I might know some other Hoiums, sort of strange that I don't.

One other note on the new C4D Reflectance channel - due to it's poor user interface there is a plugin that can make adjusting all the settings easier. It is called "TopCoat" and is available at Greyscalegorilla - Cinema 4D Tutorials and Tools for Motion Graphic Designers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines