• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save document as (Flash CS5 - BUG - OSX)

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded my CS4 to CS5 on MAC OSX and i'm having problems saving new and existing fla files. It doesnt always do it but it's very anoying when you have done some work and are unable to save it.

I get this message:

unable to save document as (file name)

please try saving to a different filename or location.

even if i try to save as to a different location i get the same message, this ONLY happens in flash CS5 and does not do it on any other application or even flash CS4. To put it bluntly i am absolutely furious with this and when you pay this amount of money should not get this hassle for such a simple action.

I have tried phoneing the adobe support line and it's a joke, you can't even understand the operator to even get anywhere and i just gave up having to repeat myself and asking them to repeat themselves.

I would be grateful if someone out there knows an answer to this or have a contact email for adobe support that i can email them direct. As a flash developer it's critical i can get on with my work without worrying if my work will even save.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I can save files in CS5 as CS4 documents but not as CS5, this is so annoying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

TODAY THE SAME THING HAPPENED WITH ME, THEN WITHOUT WASTING A MINUTE I COPIED ALL THE LAYERS OF MY FLA AND THEN PASTE IT TO NEW FILE. AND GUESS WHAT? THE PROBLEM GONE.

ALWAYS REMEMBER ONE THING - IF YOU ENCOUNTERED WITH THIS ERROR, DONT QUICKLY CLOSE YOUR FLA, AS YOU CANT RECOVER IT AFTER THAT. JUST COPY LAYERS (AS I HAVE MENTIONED IN THIS POST) AND MAKE A NEW FLA AND PASTE THOSE LAYERS IN THIS FLA. TRUST ME THIS IS THE EASIEST AND MOST RELIABLE WAY TO GET BACK YOUR PRECIOUS WORK.  I HAVE TRIED

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I emailed you off-list for more information.

If other people are experiencing this issue, it is usually due to a corrupt asset in your FLA.  Flash CS4 and earlier versions were more forgiving, but Flash CS5's new file-format will flag an error right away when saving in the new format.  Even older versions of Flash will eventually crash if the FLA has a corrupt asset.  If you are encountering a similar issue, please post here and we will try to determine which assets might be corrupt (if any).

Thanks,
Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not confident this is the reason for the problem as i can create a new fla, save it and it saves fine. Yet if i save it a 2nd time the error re-occurs, i can even copy the fla and open it and save it with no problems.

This bug cannot be re-produce, it's pretty random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have other FLA files open at the same time when this error occurs?  Can you reproduce this bug if only the new FLA file is open?  Can you reproduce the bug if you don't copy any assets from another FLA into it?

If you have a FLA that no longer saves/opens, can you email it to me off-list?

Thanks,

Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uploaded a very simple CS5 fla that will not save, all that's in the file is some dynamic text boxes and an MC clip in the library.

http://www.door15.co.uk/test_area/page_home.fla.zip

Let me know what you think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are unable to reproduce this issue.  Can you answer my previous questions so we can narrow down the problem?

Do you have other FLA files open at the same time when this error  occurs?

Can you reproduce this bug if only this FLA file is open in Flash?

Are you saving over a network?

Does it happen if you change the TextFields to use a different font?

Thanks,

Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have other FLA files open at the same time when this error  occurs?

no

Can you reproduce this bug if only this FLA file is open in Flash?

No, sometimes it will save sometimes it won't. Quite often the save bar will go across like it has saved but if you close and re-opn it hasn't really saved, then if you try and save again you get the error message. Or sometimes you will get the error straight away.

Are you saving over a network?

no

Does it happen if you change the TextFields to use a different font?

It happens on different things not just editing textfields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You mention you're not working on the file over a network.  Does that include a removable/mounted drive, an SMB share, etc.?  Are you only working with files on your hard drive?

What's the full path that you're saving to? Does it contain any hi-ascii/double-byte characters or any special characters?

Thanks,

Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention you're not working on the file over a network.  Does that include a removable/mounted drive, an SMB share, etc.?  Are you only working with files on your hard drive?

Just my hardrive.

What's the full path that you're saving to? Does it contain any hi-ascii/double-byte characters or any special characters?

Several places, but mostly to my Desktop.

FLASH CS5 is the only application that gives me this error, no other application does it. I can send screen shots if that would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. Please advise on this if there's a solution.

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nivesh,

There seems to be a bug within a bug. I received an error saying "Unable to save..." (as you said, "Flash CS4 and earlier versions were more forgiving, but Flash CS5's new  file-format will flag an error right away when saving in the new  format"), but it seems like something snuck through the saving process, because when I closed the file after experiencing this error message and tried reopening an earlier saved version of it, it says "Unexpected file type" and won't open. In other words, I couldn't save the most recent work that I did, but neither could I open the older, supposedly unsaved version of the same document.

I'm on Flash CS5 on Win 7.

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help at this thing I cant save ANYHING AT ALL its so frustrating omg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are saving to a network drive, do that later and save your project to a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AND IM FURIOUS!

This is a JOKE, such expensive software and as the OP said...it's a simple action.

This is ridiculous.

As a work around you can save the file as a CS4 .FLA

But still, awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone heard anything more on this issue? I'm getting the same thing, and in my case the workaround of saving as CS4 format won't work for long....

Thanks in advance,

Rich

BTW I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.4, I didn't see any references to the OS in question, just trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get around the problem I opened up a new file and pasted the frames in to the new file, just set the background and size and it's the same.

You can also copy a library from an existing file which works.

Still, hardly a real solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got same pissing off issue when trying to import some particular swf movie to library. Saving as CS4 file format helps to save but not using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

I need to save every time a new file in FLA cs4, FLA CS5 and XFL to try to have at least more chances to open my projects again after quitting Flash.

Crashes and corruptions are so frequent and so random that I can't  never figure out what to expect.

For sure I'm not overwriting my saves. Since I lost already hours of work with corrupted files.

Right now I'm feeling I can't trust CS5 so far...

Thinking about reverting to CS4 for production. Which is really bad...after upgrading !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what. It's not just OSX. I'm on Windows 7 and am having the same problems. I'm unable to save my Flash CS5 file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2010 Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me on my heavy, 4 minute animation. I tried the suggested the CS4 workaround which led to a program crash.

I believe the above statement about corrupt asset is true.

I had been working on my animation for several days problem free. I needed to pull a vector file that I copy/pasted from illustrator into flash prior. It was in my labrary and I had an instance of it already in my timeline. I tried to access the graphic again from the library and I found the filename, but the library preview was BLANK. Being that it was mysteriously blank, I deleted it. My next attempt to save led to the error discussed in this thread. I reloaded my animation, I've been working on it for some time now. I'm just going to leave the blank graphic alone in my library and assume that it was the culprit in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the first time I open Flash CS5. I use it with the Gaia Flash framework and it gives me exactly the same issue. I have to manually save each file with CS4 . None of my changes get saved, even when Flash seems to save properly!!! Reverting to CS4 format fixes this issue.

Sorry, but I find the quality control at Adobe quite subpar on that one, especially after shelling that much money for a suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPORTANT

For all those who had this issue, I recommend updating to the latest version of Flash 11.0.2:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/downloads.html

After applying it I've been able to save to all formats (cs5 and cs4) without any data loss !!!

It seems fixed now.

Have a nice day 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I wish this would solve my issue but I'm already running 11.0.2…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact error on Vista x64 Business.

I have been working on a flash presentation for a couple of hours, and now I cant save the file anymore.

Saving another location or with a different filename doesnt work.

Really depressing to have to do it all over again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just happened to me, too.  Try "Save As CS4".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines