• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set project in 4:3

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use 4:3 for pretty much everything. I'm using Premier Elements in Win10.

1.  How do I make that my default setting?

2.  How do I transform at 16:9 file into 4:3?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

When opening a new Elements project (whatever the settings are) the first thing you do is drag a 4:3 SD clip into the timeline, that forces the project to set to 4:3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not done this before, but I though it would be worth a try.  You didn't say which version of PrE you have.  I use 13 on Win10.

I started a  new project using a project preset at 640x460.  I used DSLR > DSLR 640x480p60.  That gave me the right preview screen shape and ratio.  There may be other choices for 640x480.

I use Add Media to load a 16:9 clip from an HD camera.  It displayed in that ratio with black bands top and bottom.  To fill the screen, I clicked in the middle of the preview window and "crop lines" appeared.  I slid them to fill the screen and then moved the image to pick the part I wanted to keep.   You will probably have to do this for each clip, but it is quick.

I output using Computer > AVCHD, picked a MP4 preset, entered the Advanced settings and force a 640 x 480 ratio.  The output played in the 4:3 ratio on my computer.

If someone knows a better way, please help!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.  Sorry I haven't responded sooner.  Been on the road and didn't have good wifi. 

So I tried what was suggested:  >project settings >DSLR > 720p.  Then I opened project and imported a 16:9 media (.mov) file.  The preview window opened in 16:9, even though I'm wanting 4:3.  Then I looked a project settings.  It shows I'm in 720p.  But in the windows below, it's saying my frame size is 1280 x 720.  That's still lookingi 16:9 to me. 

So I'm afraid I haven't gotten a step-by-step reply to my problem. 

Here's my complaint.  I'm not finding any simple direct place to preset everything in 4:3.  That is what I need for the standard definition cable system I do shows for.  When I open a new project, it comes up preset in 1280HD in project settings.  I can't find anyplace to change or force change to 720 x whatever to get 4:3.

The problem is I have to open a "new project."  That "project" won't let me make any aspect ratio changes.  So I then have to I have to go to yet another  "new project".   That's where I work my way to DSLR > 720p.  But again, (see second sentence in this reply) I'm NOT finding a clear way to: 1) make it a 4:3 setting every time I open my Elements 14, nor; 2) how to transform an imported 16:9  (FinalCut Pro language here) to a 4:3 in the preview window. 

I'm running Premier Elements 14 on Win10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening a new Elements project (whatever the settings are) the first thing you do is drag a 4:3 SD clip into the timeline, that forces the project to set to 4:3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the video coming from that you plan to edit? Is it coming from a miniDV camcorder? Are you using photographs? As I'm sure you know, most modern video, including high-def, is 16:9. Older, standard definition video was 4:3.

Assuming you're using a current version of Premiere Elements, it's fairly simple to force a project to 4:3 standard definition (720x480) and to keep it as your default.

But Bill makes a very good point. If you turn 16:9 into 4:3 you only have two options: Either crop off the sides of your video or float your video inside a 4:3 frame so that there is black above and below your video in the video frame. Which would you prefer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

You and I both know you know a lot more about this than I do.  But....

4:3  or 4 divided by 3 is 1.333.

720 divided by 480 is 1.5.

640 divided by 480 is 1.333, or a match for 4:3!

The OP's 16x9, or 192x1080, doesn't match anything at 1.777.

Of the available presets, don't you have to pick 640x480 to end up with a 4:4 final frame?

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

720x480 animorphic and 640x480 square pixels both give you a 4:3 frame, Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Grisetti wrote:

720x480 animorphic and 640x480 square pixels both give you a 4:3 frame, Bill.

Thanks!  Now I have to spend my day learning what "animorphic" means and what it does.  Best....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your PE Help and type in: understanding Aspect Ratios.

It all has to do with square and non-square pixels

720x480 footage uses non-square pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now see, Bill, if you had my book, you could actually see animorphic pixels illustrated!

Actually, all you have to  know is that in the early days of TV it was decided that TV pixels should be rectangular rather than square. Because of this, pixels for 4:3 standard TV (as well as miniDV and DV-AVIs) are about 90% as wide as they are tall. Animorphic. So a 720x480 animorphic video the same size as a 640x480 square pixel video. 

That's the simple explanation anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Now see, Bill, if you had my book, you could actually see animorphic pixels illustrated!

I have two!  You covered this in Chapter 1 of the thicker one!  I need to get them out more often. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tried that. didn't work. please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines