• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I trim/split a layer on After Effects?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started animating using Adobe After Effects CC 2015 and I have some issues regarding layers.

I am aware that I can trim them using option and the bracket keys, however, what I wanted to do was to split the layer so that it has a gap in between.

For instance, layer 1 is visible from 0:00 to 1:00, but what I wanted was to make it appear again at 2:00, leaving a blank section in the middle, from 1:00 to 2:00.

The only way I found to do this was to duplicate the layer then adjusting, yet it requires a huge amount of layers.

Is there any way of making it in the same layer?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Hey there,

To answer your question, there isn't a way to split your clip while keeping them on the same layer. Here's what we have available! 

• CTRL + SHIFT + D to split the layer into two. Delete the layer you don't want!
  • Hold SHIFT while dragging the edge of the layer to snap it to your playhead.
  • ALT + [ to trim the head of the clip, or set an In point. ALT + ] will trim the tail by setting an Out point.

Hope this helps!
Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set in and out points using keyboard shortcuts Alt/Option + [ or ] for in and out.

Split layer at the CTI by pressing Ctrl/Cmnd + Shift + d

Type keyboard shortcuts in the Search Help field to locate many other useful shortcuts and techniques that any AE user should know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

its command + shift + D on mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mcnoronha wrote:

No. You can do it in Premiere though. The stuff you're talking about sounds an awful lot like video editing. AE is not a video editing program. That kind of thing is much faster and easier in Premiere.

As Rick says, you can press CTRL/CMD+Shift+D to split a layer. You can then either trim the layer or move it to be a second further ahead, but it will be on a new layer. Alternatively, you could use hold keyframes on opacity to keep it on the same layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam  wrote

mcnoronha wrote:

No. You can do it in Premiere though. The stuff you're talking about sounds an awful lot like video editing. AE is not a video editing program. That kind of thing is much faster and easier in Premiere.

As Rick says, you can press CTRL/CMD+Shift+D to split a layer. You can then either trim the layer or move it to be a second further ahead, but it will be on a new layer. Alternatively, you could use hold keyframes on opacity to keep it on the same layer.

what about that if I press Alt+[ to cut the layer of text for example in after effect , it is working , could you explain please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

To answer your question, there isn't a way to split your clip while keeping them on the same layer. Here's what we have available! 

• CTRL + SHIFT + D to split the layer into two. Delete the layer you don't want!
  • Hold SHIFT while dragging the edge of the layer to snap it to your playhead.
  • ALT + [ to trim the head of the clip, or set an In point. ALT + ] will trim the tail by setting an Out point.

Hope this helps!
Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines