• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Registered and TM symbols to User Defined Variables

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2008 Apr 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to add Registered or Trademark symbols to the User Defined variable value? All of our help files are single sourced into 2 or more product brands so I am excited about this new RH7 feature (I upgraded from X5). But if I can't add these symbols, then this feature is as useful to me as the new RH logo.
TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2008 Apr 11, 2008
Hi Eilan

I just tried one unicode character and it appears to work just fine in both webhelp and CHMs.

I went to Start | Run and entered "charmap". Selected a symbol and entered it as the variable value. In the variable dialog it appeared as a square but back in RH it displayed correctly in the WYSIWYG editor, in preview, in webhelp and in a CHM.

The fact that the symbol does not display correctly in the variable list can be overcome by clever titling of the variable.

And what's wrong with t...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2008 Apr 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eilan

I just tried one unicode character and it appears to work just fine in both webhelp and CHMs.

I went to Start | Run and entered "charmap". Selected a symbol and entered it as the variable value. In the variable dialog it appeared as a square but back in RH it displayed correctly in the WYSIWYG editor, in preview, in webhelp and in a CHM.

The fact that the symbol does not display correctly in the variable list can be overcome by clever titling of the variable.

And what's wrong with the logo? :-)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're brilliant, Peter! Thank you. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did occur to me that the symbol need not be part of the variable. For example you need the Trademark symbol always, it's just who owns it that changes.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, one brand uses a Registered mark while another uses the TM. So in the Single Source Layouts property box for each brand, I can now enter this information once and automatically generate the correct brand. Yipee!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I was excited to find this topic, as I have just started experimenting with User Defined Variables in RH7 (just upgraded from 2002) and am trying to do this very task.

But I think I'm missing something... I open Character Map, click the TM mark, click Select, click Copy, go to my User Defined Variables dlg box in RH7, right-click and Paste the character into the Variable Value box. A weird looking symbol is displayed. I assume this is normal, per your answer, but after generating the HTML Help and viewing the .chm, the weird symbol (rather than the TM mark) is still displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see a 'weird character' when I copied it from Character Map to either the User Defined Variables table or the Variables table in the Single Source Layout. I can see the TM or R (albeit small). When you paste the copied symbol on Notepad, does it past the TM symbol? Did you make sure that the Font drop down displays Arial (and not Symbol)? If you do, you'll be pasting a weird symbol. If you can't find TM, enter "Trade mark" (note the space) and click Search. Copy that TM to RH and see what happens. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2008 Apr 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It was the fact that I did not have "Arial" selected from the Font drop-down box!! Thank you Ejung for mentioning this small detail that solved my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp