Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

creating a software demo with robohelp

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2008 Apr 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Can you help me to create software demo with robohelp. This demo needs to be saved with mp3 file extension.
If you can, can you show me step by step.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi karen2008 and welcome to the RH community.

I am willing to be proved wrong but aren't MP3 files sound based? If so, they are not suitable for video demonstrations of software. Why do you need this file format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Cause my boss doesn't want to save as flash files.
Do you have any idea that how I should save these files.
Actually, the demo doesn't include sound.
Give me suggestion.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen.

I am far from being a Captivate expert so am probably not the best person to respond here. There are users on these forums or the Captivate forum that are better placed. However my understanding is that all Captivate demos are flash based so if your boss doesn't want a flash file I can't see how they can have a demo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use animated gif files; there are several tools for this, as shown here. You simply take a series of screenshots and the tool will compile them into an animated version. I'd guess that the more expensive tools would allow some editing for callouts, bubbles, clouds, etc.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jasc Paint Shop Pro, up through PSP 8, had a free companion application called Animation Shop.

I've done a few 5 to 10 second demos. The downside is that it's not practical to show cursor movements; you have to replace, fade, wipe, etc. from one shot to the next. I suppose you could insert a cursor into each of the transition frames, but that's what tools like Captivate were invented for.

By the way, FWIW, my Macintosh SE came with a set of animated demos for new users. That was in 1988. I don't know what technique they used to build the demos, but they did a good job in showing me what buttons to press.

(Students of ancient history can research Macintosh_SE on Wikipedia.)

Harvey

P.S.
Corel, which bought Jasc Software, sells a $39 application called Animation Shop 3 and another product, Ulead GIF Animator 5, for $49.95.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use your favorite search engine on this string:

"video file formats"

...and pick one that can be used on numerous platforms but don't use Flash.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi all

Actually, long before the days of applications that could be used to create demos (Captivate, Camtasia, Wink, etc) I actually used RoboHelp to create a software demo. So if you are determined, here is how you can do it.

It all begins by grabbing screen captures of all the different screens in the application. Then you insert each on a different HTML page. Then you insert Image Map Hotspots on the images and link them up appropriately so that clicking different areas results in the same screen changes you would normally see in the application.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp