• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Excel table into Indesign CC document?

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a flyer which contains a class schedule of 15 items, dates, times and fees. I created the table in Excel, but can't figure out how to import it into my flyer as is. I did save it from Excel into a graphics collection, but when I "placed" it in the flyer it was totally out of table format/the fonts I'd used, etc. So I need to know if there's any way to transfer the table to the flyer, keeping all the elements intact.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

File > Place and select the .xslx file. Show Import options to choose which sheet, choose whether to bring in with formatting or not, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you import it as an .xslx file or as an image? You can import an .xslx file into an InDesign table and retain the formatting from Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Place and select the .xslx file. Show Import options to choose which sheet, choose whether to bring in with formatting or not, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find IMPORT OPTIONS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here:

ImportOptons.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve. I got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing a large Excel doc into InDesign CC 2017. 12.0.0.81 table. There are approximately 4,500 rows in the Excel doc. Import goes fine, but then InDesign crashes when I try to do much else other than link the pages. Earlier, I had the document completed and then went to export to a PDF (smallest size) and it crashes every time. I have trashed the preferences. Not sure what else to do. I have worked on similar documents in the past. Any help would be appreciated as this project is way overdue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing is to patch to 12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like I did all of the two steps, but this is my error: "Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation"

What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>>What am I doing wrong?

Tagging on to a 5-year-old thread.

Start a new discussion if you want to get responses.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines