Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question on storing queries in session arrays

Apr 22, 2008 Apr 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious how much memory storing queries in session arrays take up. The query results themselves (about 5-6) are small, not more than 100 records. The site traffic is low, not more than 100k a month but is expected to jump to over 1 million. The web server (primary and failover) are beefy systems, I believe 4gigs of ram. So I don't imagine I should be concerned?
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 24, 2008 Apr 24, 2008
quote:

Originally posted by: CFMXPrGrmR
Are there any benefits of making the application.queryname an array? Or is it just as well to access the query in the application scope?

It already is an array.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFMXPrGrmR wrote:
> I'm curious how much memory storing queries in session arrays take up. The
> query results themselves (about 5-6) are small, not more than 100 records. The
> site traffic is low, not more than 100k a month but is expected to jump to over
> 1 million. The web server (primary and failover) are beefy systems, I believe
> 4gigs of ram. So I don't imagine I should be concerned?
>

Ultimate a record set [i.e. query] is just an array of structures and as
such should have only a small bit of overhead above and beyond the data
in the query.

Now what is in each query can very greatly. If that is five or six, one
hundred record queries with each storing large CLOB or BLOB fields that
could easily be many megabytes of data.

But in most normal situations, no you should not have a problem. But
only performance testing will say for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian. No, they are simple text results that I want to carry throughout the whole site. Currently we're just querying on each page where we need the results. It's somewhat painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Thanks Ian. No, they are simple text results that I want to carry throughout the whole site. Currently we're just querying on each page where we need the results. It's somewhat painful.

There are two ways around this.

Method 1 - cache the query.
Method 2 - make the query a session varialbe.

This is outside my area of expertise, but my intuition tells me that method 1 will use less memory. That doesn't necessarily make it the best option. Among other things, you have to consider changes to the actual data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I do want to cache it as well as make it accessible to the whole site. I was thinking the session variable but Ian mentioned that would give each user a copy of it, and that could mean "a million copies". If I can get it in the application scope and just have one copy, that's preferred (although I've never done this before).

If I use a CreateTimeSpan of 1 day in the query, then put those values in an application array variable should that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

If I use a CreateTimeSpan of 1 day in the query, then put those values in an application array variable should that work?

I'm not sure. The potential problem is that the query never gets uncached. I don't know if the cache would expire one day after it was set, or one day after the most recent time it was requested from the cache.

If it's the latter, making it an application or server variable and refreshing it with a scheduled job seems like a reasonable way to go about it. In fact, doing it this way will result in less code throughout the various templates that use this data, they might not need a cfquery tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2008 Apr 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give these ideas a shot, thankfully I have a month or two to test it. I had thought about using a cfschedule to update the cached application query, I'll see how that goes.

Are there any benefits of making the application.queryname an array? Or is it just as well to access the query in the application scope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

It already is an array.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That's what I thought. I read a post you made on another thread about this being the case, so that'll save me a step. thnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFMXPrGrmR wrote:
> Right, I do want to cache it as well as make it accessible to the whole site. I
> was thinking the session variable but Ian mentioned that would give each user a
> copy of it, and that could mean "a million copies". If I can get it in the
> application scope and just have one copy, that's preferred (although I've never
> done this before).

Just replace "session.myQuery" with "application.myQuery" and viola, one
copy of the query accessible by any template in the application
requested by any user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFMXPrGrmR wrote:
> Thanks Ian. No, they are simple text results that I want to carry throughout the whole site. Currently we're just querying on each page where we need the results. It's somewhat painful.

You will also want to make sure these are unique results for each user.
If the results are not unique per user, but are same for all users
throughout the site, then you probably want to use application scope, or
possible server scope. Then you only have one instance of the query
used by all sessions rather then one million copies of the same query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They aren't specific to the site users, just the site itself. These results are usually returned once each morning, so I would probably cache the query/array values. Are there any issues caching values in the application scope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation