• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Matching InDesign and Photoshop Pixel Dimensions

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to use InDesign to determine pixel sizes of a baseline grid and typography that will eventually be used on a webpage. Since Photoshop doesn't have a baseline grid or a baseline grid snapping feature, I thought I might be able to make something work in InDesign.

Unfortunately I'm running into a problem, where pixel dimensions in InDesign don't seem to match up with pixel sizes in Photoshop. For example, with documents at 100% view in both Photoshop and InDesign, a 100px square appears larger on screen in InDesign than in Photoshop. It's as if InDesign is rendering the view at a different resolution than Photoshop.

Above you can see a square made at 42 pixels in InDesign viewed at 100% zoom (though InDesign insists on displaying the size as points) with the same square screen-captured and opened in Photoshop. The square is actually measured at 54 pixels.

How can I get InDesign to display the same pixel sizes as Photoshop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

In CS6 the ID and PS Zoom scales are different. ID's 100% is the actual print size adjusted for you monitor res and not PS's 1:1 monitor to pixel ratio.

To get the 1:1 ratio in ID double click your Zoom tool

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File/Document Setup/Intent Web. That will give you your pixels in ID. Test again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6 the ID and PS Zoom scales are different. ID's 100% is the actual print size adjusted for you monitor res and not PS's 1:1 monitor to pixel ratio.

To get the 1:1 ratio in ID double click your Zoom tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thanks Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a nusiance! Actual pixel size is one pixel per pixel--end of story!

Is there a resolution setting I can over-ride (like you can do in Acrobat) or a global "pixel resolution" I can set for CC? How does it calculate "real" size anyway? Can I trick it to think I'm actually using a 72ppi monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the following scripts (JavaScript/ExtendScript) by John Hawkinson will help you.
It will set the "customMonitorPpi" property of the general preferences of InDesign CS6 and CC to 72 ppi:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4385273#4385273

"customMonitorPpi" is not available to InDesign CS5.5 and below…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender wrote:

Maybe the following scripts (JavaScript/ExtendScript) by John Hawkinson will help you.
It will set the "customMonitorPpi" property of the general preferences of InDesign CS6 and CC to 72 ppi:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4385273#4385273

So the script just tells Indesign that I have a 72ppi monitor -- brilliant! Perfect!!

Only thing that would be better is if Indesign would let me choose to do that ... at very least when I create a document with web "intent".

Thanks a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a nusiance! Actual pixel size is one pixel per pixel--end of story!

The menu item is Actual Size not Actual Pixel Size. InDesign is still predominantly a print application.

Can I trick it to think I'm actually using a 72ppi monitor?

Double-clicking your Zoom tool should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu item is Actual Size not Actual Pixel Size. InDesign is still predominantly a print application.

I'm predominantly a print designer. But I can't think of any useful reason why when I design for web I'd want to be viewing at a percentage of my monitor's resolution--I'm going to be viewing the resulting web page at actual pixel size. What size of a pixel is "actual size" if not one pixel?

Not that resolution difference is trivial. On the contrary, it's CRITICAL! The problem with "actual size" not referring to pixels is that Indesign can't know what the pixel OUTPUT intent size is. So if I can't control the resolution of my document (say, for telling Indesign that I'm designing for an iPad with Retina display) I'd at very least rather not have it displaying at some other entirely other random resized dimension that is neither my monitor's actual pixel size NOR that of the iPad's. My monitor is roughly the same ppi as a non-retina iPad, so when I create a "Digital Publishing" intent document and choose "iPad" for page size, why would I want Indesign's "actual size" zoom level to display something roughly 1/3 smaller than the iPad's "Actual Size" and roughly 2/3 larger than a Retina display iPad? Far better to just display REAL pixels if the user isn't given control of output scale intent.

Again, why not just let the user set the display scale/resolution? For web intent documents, at very least.

Double-clicking your Zoom tool should work.

That's a passable work-around. Not saying I'm not thankful for the tip.

Hopefully it means someone at Adobe understands that the current implementation is problematic and worth coding in a hidden kludge until output intent includes scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm predominantly a print designer. But I can't think of any useful reason why when I design for web I'd want to be viewing at a percentage of my monitor's resolution-

Actual Size in IDCS6+ means actual print size. So if you set the zoom percentage at 100% and show rulers, 1 inch will measure 1 inch. If you are designing for print it's an important view.

You can't have it both ways—if 100% means a 1:1 monitor to pixel ratio as it does in Photoshop then you can't easily view the layout as it will print at 100%. In earlier versions print designers who didn't care about the 1:1 ratio complained.

It's just a matter of understanding what the zoom percentage means—there's nothing stopping you from working at a 1:1 ratio for screen projects once you know how the Zoom tool works. If you think 100% should never mean actual print size then there's the scripting option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were many threads like this when 100% meant 1:1

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/832105?start=0&tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True enough on both counts! Relative resolution and scaling is definitely helpful for print design (I learned early on what scale to view in order to preview onscreen at what would be actual physical size--the reverse of double-clicking the zoom tool now, I guess.)

But I see no reason why we can't have it both ways. Isn't that the whole point of "web" or "Digital Publishing" intent in document setup? Why not have Indesign switch to 1-1px scale when you create a document set to web intent? Wouldn't be any different, functionally, than what the script does, it would just revert to physical scale when I open a print document. Seems like it should be obvious that the preview scale when creating a web site should be 1 pixel is 1 pixel--my browser isn't going to display my website at 123.7% scale. Or that if you chose the "iPad" digital pub template, the display scale should be twice that of a (theoretical) Retina display iPad. It's functionally just a different number, right? That is, if I were writing a script, I could theoreticall specify any resolution I wanted to get the desired display scale.

Ok, so now I'm turning this into feature request, I know, and the question has been thoroughly answered. But it needn't be that complicated--all we really need is a place to CHOOSE what mode to opperate in, right? If Adobe really prefers not to open the output-intent-view-scale can o' worms, then why not leave an Acrobat-style resolution preference where I can type in a number? The obvious advantage of that over the script solution is that it's easy to set or reset.

Aside: while we're on the topic of having it both ways in regards to using Indesign for more than print work... Why not include the option to set the document color profile (most likely to sRGB) when I choose "web" intent in a new document dialog? Oh! And give me actual RGB black and white color swatches in "web" documents.

I'm just excited about the idea of Adobe taking a few more steps in the direction they've started with the whole document intent feature set in Indesign. A more inviting web design environment wouldn't in any way keep me from continuing to use Indesign for print work (all day every day). What is there to lose? Not like they're developing Fireworks anymore, and Indesign already makes more sense for web than Illustrator. ... I'm sure it's a HUGE internal debate at Adobe. Probably some Fireworks replacement app in the works that I don't know about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not have Indesign switch to 1-1px scale when you create a document set to web intent?

I'm guessing it's harder to engineer than suggest—not only would they have to change the zoom scale on creation and open but also on window swapping. I can imagine newbies wondering what's going on.

In Uwe's link #66 I posted an AppleScript that toggles the display, but I've stopped using it because it just gets confusing—the zoom double click (which matches PS) is easier.

Oh! And give me actual RGB black and white color swatches in "web" documents.

That's what I get in CS6, all of my application swatches (except for [Paper], which doesn't output) convert to RGB definitions

Why not include the option to set the document color profile (most likely to sRGB) when I choose "web" intent

Assign the desired profiles to a web intent doc and make a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to InDesign CC 2014, and the "double-click the zoom tool" workaround is now broken.

Is there another workaround? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there another workaround?

I don't think so. You will have to run a script. See the link in Uwe's #5 post for both AppleScript and Javascripts, which will set 100% to 1:1.

I also posted a feature request here if you want to add on.

1:1 View

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all you screen designers it might help to add to my feature request because I think Adobe listed setting the view to 100% on a Zoom double click as a "new feature" for CC 2014. So not all of the engineers are seeing the importance of a 1:1 view for screen design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have there been changes to this feature in Adobe CC 2015? I'm trying the old double click on the magnify tool but it's just going to what In Design says is "100%", and not a true reflection of actual pixel size.

Pulling my hair out!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mostly design for print another way to script it is like this (AppleScript):

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set x to main monitor ppi of general preferences

set zoom percentage of active window to (72 / x) * 100

end tell

That leaves 100% as actual print size and you can get the 1:1 ratio for screen design via the script.

If you want to add to it there's a feature request link in my #14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael Stanaland, i tried this exactly, but i got an error message when i tried to run the script.  Any idea why, or how to fix this, i really want to be able to get indesign to display pixels the same as photoshop. Cheers.

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 11.25.29 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

the trick is saving the ExtendScript (JavaScript) code without any formatting. Text only.
Your error message indicates, that you do have a formatted text file in RTF style:
"Source: {\rtf\ … "

Best use the suffix *.jsx to make it more clear for yourself, that it is an ExtendScript file.
*.js is working too, but is better used for other flavours of JavaScript.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant. Yes that worked perfectly, i can't thank you enough for replying and providing the fix. This has been driving me crazy for a while now. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines