Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direction markers in FM 2015

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I know from before the direction markers are hidden permanently in FM but I found out during working in FM 2015 that is not hidden permanently, its appeared with some fonts so I have to select it and apply another font like Arial to make it hidden.

Can we fix this issue in future by make it hidden permanently with any font?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Hi,

If this is an issue, you can let Adobe know.

Open the Adobe Tracker and describe your issue.

When you post the link to the Adobe Tracker issue, others can vote for it.

https://tracker.adobe.com/

Best regards, Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
This error is still unsolved.

I have the same situation in FM 2019, FM 2020 and FM 2022.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If this is an issue, you can let Adobe know.

Open the Adobe Tracker and describe your issue.

When you post the link to the Adobe Tracker issue, others can vote for it.

https://tracker.adobe.com/

Best regards, Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what markers are, but what are direction markers?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff! 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how it looks in indd. 

RTLerror1_indd.PNG

In .fm many time we have this signe "?" . This is also in pdf after printing.

RTLerror2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with Barb and Jeff, I'm not certain I know what you are asking about.

However, if your first screen capture is from InDesign (indd) then it appears that you are discussing the invisible characters like tabs and pilcrows.

In your second screen capture, it looks to me that your document contains a character not supported by your chosen font. 

I don't know enough about non-Latin character sets (and/or Right to Left languages) to make a proper evaluation, but my guess is that the font you're choosing for display in English doesn't support the character you're using in the source language.

Are you working with a localization vendor? Can they provide insight?

Please circle back when you resolve this...I'm curious to see the cause of your problem!

-Matt 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt:

I continued reading about it because I work in both apps, and answer ME version InDesign questions and this was completely new to me. (Likely because it works as expected in InDesign so no one has brought it up.)

This page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-left_mark) gives an example of how they are used. My interpretation (and for those of you using this feature, please correct me if I am wrong) is that they are used for an inline swap between directions. The direction marker is added to indicate the change and should be invisible (and is in InDesign unless Show Hidden Characters is enabled) but they are showing up as ?s in FrameMaker with certain fonts (and in an exported PDF). 

@Ireneusz346769525qx5, if my interpretation is correct then @Winfried Reng's answer is correct. This is an issue in FrameMaker that Adobe needs to address. Have you logged it yet as a bug? If so, would you mind grabbing the link and coming back and posting it here? That way we can vote for it. Clearly, it's essential for someone who is using this feature.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so it's unclear as to whether Fm fully supports inline RTL text in a Latin paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I created a post in tracker:
FRMAKER-14734 | Tracker (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is more likely a FrameMaker issue. Because when you paste text from FrameMaker into another application, e.g. InDesign or even MS Word, and use the same font, everything looks correct. However, in FrameMaker "?" characters start to appear, especially irritating if you have URLs addresses in the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines