• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This morning's Creative Cloud Update just REMOVED FILES from my computer, how do I contact Adobe??

Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at Backblaze.

We are getting a TON of customers reporting that when Adobe Creative Cloud updates

on the Macintosh (which it did this morning 2/11/2016) then it removes the

contents of folder /.bzvol/ which belongs to Backblaze (this folder does

not belong to Adobe Creative Cloud!!)   Removing this folder disables

Backblaze.  Here is an FAQ on it:

.bzvol is missing : Help Desk

Does anybody know how to contact Adobe to ask them to PLEASE STOP
ROLLING THAT UPDATE OUT.  Or possibly stop removing our software's

files?!

If you use Backblaze, you should stop installing Adobe Creative Cloud updates

until they start behaving better.  They might be removing OTHER RANDOM FILES

from the file system?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Hi,

CC build 3.5.1.209 has the fix for the problem described in this thread. We are rolling out the update and should be available to everyone soon.

Regards,

Anirudh Bhatnagar

Creative Cloud Lead Quality Engineer

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chat/Phone: Mon - Fri  5am - 7pm  (US Pacific Time) <=== NOTE DAYS AND TIME

Be sure to remain signed in with your Adobe ID before accessing the link below

Creative Cloud support (all Creative Cloud customer service issues)

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform for feature requests or bug reports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another tweet - Adobe Creative Cloud is removing files from computers:

Tony Arnold on Twitter: "@backblaze @rkeniger far out, that’s terrible. What else did they delete?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We now have videos of this happening.  100% reproducible.  We are trying to get through to Adobe with the videos.  Here are steps to reproduce:

1. Uninstall Adobe Creative Cloud

2. Install Backblaze, notice that a folder is created at the very top of drive named .bzvol  (/.bzvol/README.txt exists)

3. Install Adobe Creative Cloud -> They remove /.bzvol/README.txt at time of install (along with other files)

This is bad. Adobe really needs to fix this.  They really should not be removing other program's files.  Remember, this is 100% reproducible so just do not install Adobe Creative Cloud and do not install any updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brianw,

Thanks for bringing this up,  could you please help us with the log files? We would like to get more information about it, here is Adobe Creative Cloud Log Collector Tool‌ which you may use to collect the log files.

We would appreciate your co-operation here.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys can create your own logs!!   This is 100% reproducible in 20 seconds.

Just create ANY FOLDER AT ALL at the top (root) of your file system

called something like "/.adobe_test/" and put a file inside such as "/.adobe_test/foo.txt"

and then SIGN OUT OF Adobe Creative Cloud, then SIGN INTO Adobe Creative cloud

and Creative Cloud removed /.adobe_test/foo.txt

YOU DO NOT NEED LOGS FROM ME OR ANYBODY ELSE!!!!

This is 100% reproducible in 20 seconds, without installing Backblaze

or any other software.  PLEASE PASS THIS TO AN ENGINEER AT ADOBE!!

Seriously, you guys have all the info you need. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian,

Can we get Adobe Log files of customers who have reported this?

Or if you have your own log files?

Please email me at djack@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brian

What is the OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> what is the OS version

All Macintosh OS versions.  We have seen it on El Capitan and

also the previous rev.  This is 100% reproducible in 20 seconds.

Here are two videos showing the problem being reproduced if you are unclear:

Adobe Creative Cloud Deleting files on Sign In - YouTube

Adobe Creative Cloud deleting Backblaze files - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I’m in the middle of finalizing a project today, Feb 11, 2016, in inDesign CC 2015, MAC OS 10.10.5, and out of the blue Creative Cloud starts updating, I get some ridiculous error message, then another one, and it shuts down inDesign. It all happened in about 10 seconds, and I didn't even have a chance to see what the error code was, and something about working offline I think. Then literally half my work file folders are gone from my hard drive, GONE! Not just the inDesign files, but all the fonts, images, text files.  I don’t use or sync my files to Creative Cloud, they only reside on my hard drive so what the hell just happened! How do half my files just disappear, I wasn’t doing anything except working on a project using inDesign like I have a million times with no issues.

Can someone please explain to me what just happened. Literally lost folders of previous work projects and many major current projects that were practically finalized and now will have to try to recreate for my clients. I don’t use the cloud because of the issues and all the files were on my computer only — HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN!

I’ve read about this being an issue about a year ago, so why is it still happening now and not been fixed! I doubt I will get any kind of response, but if someone could possibly explain this to me I would really appreciate it, because this is crap especially when people are forced to use the apps this way and no longer actually purchase the software.

Thanks in advance for any response or insight into this issue at all, and if there is any chance of getting my Project Folders back, lost just a ridiculous amount of work. And yes I know about backing up files, that isn't the issue here, it's a serious issue with CC if my files can just disappear for no apparent reason. I back up files a couple times a month, but completely lost all current job folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm am seeing this same error on my Macbook Pro and my finace's Macbook Air. There is now another "Macintosh HD" listed in Backblaze settings. If I select it, I get a message saying that it will replace my original drive, which I'm assuming isn't something I want to do. I'm also using Creative Cloud so this is mostly likely the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

we are aware of this issue and are currently investigating to understand the root cause.

We will post more information when it becomes available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have we found out the cause of this? This has caused issues with my backups and I will now have to reupload a couple of terabytes of data.

Not amused Adobe... Why is your application tampering with files it doesn't own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only response / statement from Adobe ??

This is embarrassingly bad customer support, and a horribly made product update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The statement from the Adobe rep was referenced in the Ars Technica article that I linked to above. They acknowledged the problem and said that that build of CC desktop had been pulled.

ProDesign Tools is an independent organization which has permission to post Adobe trials and software. It is not Adobe, nor am I.

However, there is now a way to "roll back" to the previous version of the software which is helpful.

No doubt the Adobe engineers are working on an update as we type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply was inline to the Adobe rep's statement, not yours. I have no opinion on your company or your post.

Thanks for your efforts as 3rd parties, but we all want to understand why these things keep happening with the Adobe products we pay for.

A statement from an Adobe rep on this subject would be very welcome. CC and the CC updaters have been extremely bad for YEARS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem of missing Backblaze files, as of yesterday, Feb. 11th. Please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like they pulled the update.

I wrote a script to make a folder to protect against it as well. Details here:

Protection from Adobe Creative Cloud's Folder Erasing Bug - Alan W. Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: Ars Technica just wrote up the problem this afternoon Friday, 2/12:

Warning: Bug in Adobe Creative Cloud deletes Mac user data without warning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. Apparently Adobe has stopped/pulled the recent update to the Creative Cloud Desktop app (version 3.5.0.206 released on 2/11/2016).

In response, the CC 2015 direct download links have been reverted back to the previous version as well – version 3.4.3.189 from 12/21/2015 has now been restored and can be downloaded there. So it's possible to return to the prior release manually by installing the older version over the newer one, for whoever wants or needs to.

(You can see the release you're running by going to the Settings "gear" icon at the upper right of the CC Desktop app, and then selecting Preferences.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. And I can confirm that you can roll back to the earlier version using the direct download link above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to hear – thanks for your confirmation Steve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such luck for me--got an "Access Denied" error from the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's right on. Neither of us are employed by Adobe; we're just trying to help out other users here.

There was a statement given in the Ars Technica article that Steve shared:

An Adobe spokeswoman issued a statement that read: "We are aware that some customers have experienced this issue and we are investigating in order to resolve the matter as quickly as possible. We are stopping the distribution of the update until the issue has been resolved."

Regarding the CC direct links, please make sure you carefully follow the download instructions given on that page (before clicking on the links)... Doing so is required by Adobe's servers; otherwise you will receive that "denied" message.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines