• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seeking Solution: Robohelp 10 to Display Auto-sizing/Custom-sized Popup to Appear Next to the Linked Word on IE 11

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Experts,

Background:

• I am new on RH and currently using RH10.
  • The project that I just took over is an Online Help (OH Production) which was originally created in RH10 (so no upgrade) and it already had a release and it used WebHelp layout.  The Online Help uses auto-sizing popup. 
  • The release works fine on my IE11, which auto-sizing popup window appears perfectly next to/below to the linked (hyperlinked word) word on IE11 and Chrome.
  • I currently use the same project as the base by making copy of the project and renaming it to different name, a working project Online Help In Work (OH In Work).
  • I don't have any changes on this OH In Work project, just try to generate WebHelp output to my local computer drive to test preview .
  • I have to use "Display auto-sizing popup" to open a small window (frame) next to the linked word, not a new browser/link page.
  • Both "Display auto-sizing popup" or "Display custom-size popup" have given the same result, which is the problem I need to get fixed.
  • Regardless whether I do generate the WebHelp output to preview on IE11 and Chrome from a fresh new created project, Online Help New (OH New) on RH10 or from the copy project (OH In Work) above (which we already know that the above production/released project works fine), the result of the generated WebHelp from the Single Source Layout to preview on IE11 is not the same as the production released Online Help project I mention above. On Chrome the popup window works fine as it appears/opens up next to the linked word.  But in IE 11 preview upon saving & generating it from WebHelp, it opens a new window on the top left or top center of the currently opened browser instead of next to the linked word like the OH Production.
  • If I generate it from Microsoft HTML Help, the preview CHM file looks perfect too. Popup appears next to the linked word.
  • OS is Windows 7. Popup Blocker is Off. Internet Properties Tabs setting is Let IE decide how popup should open -- shown below.
  • Sample pictures below show what I am referring to.
  • No plan to upgrade to RH11. I still have to use RH10.

Request/Question:

• Please, would you let me know the solution/fix how I can make my project auto-sizing popup window to work exactly like how it appears on Chrome or how it appears on my OH Production on IE11?  In which popup window should appear next to the linked word (or below it), but not as a new window popup on the top-center or top-left far away from the linked word.  This is a problem as the popup should not block the view of other sections/paragraphs that don't relate to the linked word or to the popup window's content. 

Hopefully, you will have the workaround or pinpoint my error rescue this. Your quickest reply with resolution is very appreciated. That's why you are Da' Expert and generous with your knowledge!

Thank you.

Internet Properties Tab Settings

InternetPropertiesTabSettings.JPG

RoboHelp10 Insert Hyperlink > Display auto-sizing popup. Note: That "Link to" dialog box is actually not blank in my project. Only the image I shown here is blank because it's just new and only for image.

RH10-PopUpSetting.JPG

This below is on Chrome, which display popup window next to the word "Suggest". Perfect, just like what I need. This below pic on IE11 displays the popup window as a new window on the top-center of the opened browser. This is the problem.

RH10-PreviewPopUpInCHROME.JPGRH10-PreviewPopUpInIE11.JPG

This below is on Microsoft HTML Help. Popup windows opens perfectly next to the linked word, "Suggest".

MicrosoftHTMLHelp.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me none of your images appear. However, I think the problem is as simple as if you generate the help to the server where it would normally be viewed by users, the popups will then work.

Try it and post back.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images appeared after I posted the reply!

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

WOW! It's actually really you? For real?  I read many of yours, Rick's and your team's solutions to people's problems/questions here (online) and I tried my luck today to register and post my problem and thought probably they would reply to my problem in like in a month or two.  But, I think this is my lucky day! Here you are with your solution answer to my problem.

Alright, I will try to generate it to the server when my OH In Work project is done and I will keep you posted how it goes. But it won't be sooner than sometimes in March.  I'm just not so sure why it shows up differently on Preview IE11 on my local PC versus Online Help Production? 

Thanks so much!! Till next.

Cheers,

Sundance S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all,

Was a solution to this issue ever found? I am experiencing the same problem as the original poster, where auto-sizing popups in IE11 display in new windows instead of the nice popup that displays in earlier versions of IE, Chrome, and Firefox. I would appreciate any help finding a solution, as the small popup window that displays is not big enough for our content (whereas the auto-sizing popup was perfect).

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution offered to the original poster was to check it out on the server, rather than in preview. Have you tried that?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This occurs both locally and on a web server. The issue only occurs in IE11. The popups behave as expected when using Chrome, FF, and the IE Developer Tools (F12) to emulate IE10 or below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! Trial and error now.

1] Have you checked Willam's site for Rh10 patches? Some are Willam's own and have worked well for others. Click here.

2] Have you tried a brand new project with just a couple of topics?

After that I'm not sure but if you create a test as in 2 above, you can send it to me and I will regenerate it in Rh2015 to see if the problem is fixed there. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried the patches and the new test project, but it appears I still have the issue.

Thank you for the offer to try the generation in RoboHelp 2015. I will contact you via the instructions on your web page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the record, generating the test project in RoboHelp 2015 worked correctly.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp