9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 5:07 AM by trshaner

Lens Specific Lightroom Presets

slowdive101 Level 1

Can't seem to solve this Lightroom problem since I've been using my new camera, a Sony A7ii. I've been using it with one native Sony lens (an FE 24-70 f.4) and a variety of vintage lenses (with adapters).

Here's the problem. After fiddling with and assigning some basic presets for the camera/FE 24-70 combo, the same presets—along with lens corrections—are being applied to all photos including those taken with other lenses. I attempted to reverse this problem by removing lens corrections and assigning a new preset—thinking that this would eliminate lens corrections for all photos taken with lenses other than the FE 24-70. No luck. All this did was eliminate lens correction presets on all future imports, including those taken with the FE 24-70.

So what am I doing wrong? I know in the preset preferences, there are options for camera specific and ISO specific presets. But what about specific lenses?

• 1. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets
          BKKDon Level 4

If you apply a Develop Preset on import that is what will be applied to ALL imported images. Presets are not lens specific.

My suggestion is that you use the following lines in the import preset:

LensProfileEnable = 1,

LensProfileSetup = "LensDefaults",

That will ensure that the correct defaults are employed for recognized lenses.

Then, if necessary, apply the develop preset you created to selected images after import.

• 2. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets
            slowdive101 Level 1

Thank you for your answer. However, perhaps I've used improper terminology to outline my problem:

It's "Set Default Develop Settings" that I'm really looking at. So, is there a way of using certain default settings for certain lenses, and other settings for other lenses? There are certain develop settings I apply to 100% of my photos, with lens corrections being the only thing that would vary, so this would greatly simplify my workflow.

If that is not an option, can you please expand on what you meant my this:

LensProfileEnable = 1,

LensProfileSetup = "LensDefaults",

Thank you so much for your help,

Bryan

• 3. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Lens corrections can be turned on and off in the presets.

If you open one of your preset files in a text editor (not word processor), you can add or remove the two mentioned lines.

One way to handle this would be to have a develop preset you use at import time that does not do the lens corrections, then after the import you select all the photos taken with a given lens and apply a develop preset that turns on the lens corrections.

• 4. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets
                slowdive101 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I guess that workflow will have to do, but I'm honestly surprised there doesn't seem to be a more built-in, automated solution. Lightroom is capable of setting camera-specific and ISO-specific defaults, but when it comes to lenses...nothing? It's just weird!

• 5. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your objective is to always apply lens profile corrections to the images shot with "native" Sony lenses simply change your Default Develop Settings:

1) Select a raw image file shot with the Sony lens and hit the 'Reset' button at the bottom of the Develop settings panel.

2) In the Lens Corrections panel check 'Enable Profile Corrections.'

3) Go to menu Develop> Set Default Settings> Click 'Update to Current Settings.'

If you want to use "custom" Lens Profile default settings such as Distortion = 0, Vignetting = 75:

1) Select an image shot with the Sony lens and hit the 'Reset' button at the bottom of the Develop settings panel.

2) In the Lens Corrections panel check 'Enable Profile Corrections' and change the Distortion and/or Vignetting settings to the desired values.

3) Next to 'Setup' click the double-arrow and select 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults.'

3) Go to menu Develop> Set Default Settings> Click 'Update to Current Settings.'

The lenses with adapters will not have a lens profile applied since they can't be "automatically" identified.

• 6. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets
                    slowdive101 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions, but this is exactly what I had done prior to beginning this thread. So the results are the same.

Newly imported photos are applying lens corrections whether the lens is recognized is not. So the lens corrections for the Sony FE 24-70 are being applied to photos that were taken both with that lens and with the misc. adapter lenses.

• 7. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets

The lens profile default for lenses with the adapter (i.e. not recognized) is associating with the Sony lens profile you are using (FE 24-70mm).

Try this:

1) Select a raw image file shot with the one of the adapter mounted lenses and hit the 'Reset' button at the bottom of the Develop settings panel.

2) In the Lens Corrections panel next to 'Setup' click the double-arrow and select 'Reset Lens Profile Defaults.' 'Make' should now be set to 'None' and 'Setup' set to 'Default.'

This should prevent a lens profile from being applied to the unrecognized adapter lenses and your Sony lens(es) will have the lens profile assigned with your "default" settings. You can change the default Distortion 100 and Vignetting 100 settings for each lens independently with unique values.

• 8. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets
                        slowdive101 Level 1

Success! Thank you so much for your help

Okay, wow, this was so much harder than it should have been. If this problem were to recur a few months from now, I'm not sure I'd be able to remember the solution. And I consider myself to be a seasoned Lightroom veteran.

Thanks again,

Bryan

• 9. Re: Lens Specific Lightroom Presets

The problem only occurs when using anything other than 'Auto' in the Lens Profile 'Setup field for a Develop preset or Default Develop Settings. If you're happy with the default settings (100,100) then use the 'Auto' Lens Corrections setting when creating a Develop preset with 'Lens Profile Corrections' checked, or when changing your 'Default Develop Settings.'

If you want to change these settings then you'll need to change each lens to the desired 'Default' values including setting the unrecognized lens adapter to 'Make' = 'None' as described above.

More advice here: Re: Applying Lens Corrections Across Entire Import